Smileitsjoy (JoyMelody)'s Reviews > I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying: Essays

I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying by Bassey Ikpi

bookshelves: blackauthorsmatter, books-i-own

“only a woman so small and wise could give birth to herself so many times”
That was the last sentence in the “prologue” of Bassey Ikpi’s book (set to release this coming August). That sentence struck a chord with me and I knew that this collection of essays was going to be amazing and moving.

Ikpi is a Nigerian- American poet and mental health advocate and overall amazing human who has been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. A disorder that Black and Brown folks to not talk about nor even have the name for.

As we read through Ikpi’s essays we are met with gripping and raw narratives of what undiagnosed mental health disorders look like as well as what it looks when you’re trying to navigate your new diagnoses.

She describes depression as a fog instead of just darkness and i related to that so deeply. This description is so important because often times we are taught that mental illness looks one way but really looks another. Which that is something she also touches on as well in one of her essays.

She also talks about a "relationship" that she is in and as someone who has clinical depression I complete related.

As someone who had clinical severe depression and general anxiety disorder, this book was something that i NEEDED to read.

Bassey's writing is relatable and smooth and harrowing (but in the best way possible). She writes like we are in a conversation with her over a cup of coffee. Or even like we are watching a reality tv show that follows her. With every essay, I felt like I was right there with her fully understanding her emotions and feelings and moods.

This collection of essays is extremely important and necessary because we must change the narrative around mental health and Black and Brown folks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying.

April 9, 2019 – Shelved
June 1, 2019 –
page 99
June 1, 2019 –
page 117
43.01% "Bassey’s writing is familiar and smooth and complex all at the same time"
June 2, 2019 –