Michelle's Reviews > The Laws of the Skies

The Laws of the Skies by Grégoire Courtois

Holy hell! This book about 6 year old children on a camping trip gone wrong is absolutely brutal.

Twelve students and three chaperones enter the woods for a camping trip and none of them come out alive. That's not a spoiler, that is in the book synopsis. So I knew this wasn't going to be all rainbows and lollipops but this guy took it so far deeper and darker than I was expecting. It was nearly relentless.

"The cries of the children calling for their mothers had filled the space and made everything tremble, tremors that reached the most obtuse of sensibilities, moving anyone who could detect the vibration, that is, anyone other than you, dear reader, who have the privilege and the curse of grasping the unbearable birds-eye view of a forest, plunged into the darkness of one inconsequential night, from which the cries for help of children who have died, or who will die, and whose salvation you can do nothing for. That is your lot, and that is theirs, tragic roles that each will have to play out as best they can, until the last page."

Has a quote ever been more fitting? From that quote alone you can see what a terrific writer Grégoire Courtois is but, be warned, he doesn't give two shits about anyone's feelings. Triggers are everywhere! Ooooo, and that last scene was disgustingly descriptive.

My only issue with this grim tale was that the 6 year old children didn't read like 6 year old children at all. As the reader we reside within the heads and thoughts of the children through out the book and these kids have a far better and more expanded vocabulary than me which took me out of the story a bit because I couldn't actually imagine these children which kept me rather detached. This is a quick read (maybe 160 pages) if you've got the stomach for it! Recommend to weirdo's only. 4 stars!

Thank you to Edelweiss and Coach House Books for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Laws of the Skies.

February 14, 2019 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
February 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
April 9, 2019 – Started Reading
April 9, 2019 – Shelved
April 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

karen this weirdo accepts the recommendation!

message 2: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle karen wrote: "this weirdo accepts the recommendation!"

Haha! I had actually thought of you when I finished this. Weirdo's unite! 😁

karen i love wilderness survival stories, but i also really like wilderness no survival stories. and "disgustingly descriptive" works for me! i will try to get my little hands on this!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Well now I want it. That title is turrrrrible. Thanks for the review that put this on my radar : )

message 5: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Amazing review, Michelle! 💖

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Well now I want it. That title is turrrrrible. Thanks for the review that put this on my radar : )"

Haha! It isn't for the faint of heart so you may like this one, Kelly! 😉

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Nazanin wrote: "Amazing review, Michelle! 💖"

Thank you so much, Nazanin! 😘

message 8: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gosh! Michelle! That’s heavy going! Sounds like an interesting writer. Terrific review! :)

message 9: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Definitely not for me!! Lol
Grand review Michelle! 🌹

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Nicola wrote: "Gosh! Michelle! That’s heavy going! Sounds like an interesting writer. Terrific review! :)"

Thanks, Nicola! 🧡 It was very heavy going!

message 11: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Nadia wrote: "Definitely not for me!! Lol
Grand review Michelle! 🌹"

Haha! Thanks, Nadia! 🌻 I don't think many normal people would enjoy this.

message 12: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Well this sounds different Michelle, terrific review 💕

message 13: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Maureen wrote: "Well this sounds different Michelle, terrific review 💕"

Thank you, Maureen! 💖 I've got to give this author credit for not holding back in the least.

message 14: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Grice Excellent review, Michelle! That's my problem as well in novels where quite often children or adolescent characters are written with "over-maturity" and wisdom beyond their years.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Haha! This one seems very dark! Wow! I have to add this one. Excellent review, Michelle!

message 16: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary  Carrasco Great review, Michelle! That quote... Now I have to read it!

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme wow! you are braver than me! great review

Felicia Yayyyyyy I knew you'd get into this brutal story. That quote takes me back. So good. Terrific review 💖

message 19: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Awesome review Michelle you have got me in on this one adding XO <3 :)

message 20: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Great review Michelle you have got me in added XO <3 :)

message 21: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Lol, love your last sentence! Wonderful review, Michelle!

JV (semi-hiatus) Ohhhh! This is for meeee! Wheee! 😂 Excellent review, dear Michelle! 🥰

message 23: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle J.K. wrote: "Excellent review, Michelle! That's my problem as well in novels where quite often children or adolescent characters are written with "over-maturity" and wisdom beyond their years."

Thanks so much, J.K.! 😊 These little ones put my 13 yr old son to shame. All I can get out of him are grunts and huh's and what's and I don't know's. Such a fun age! Haha!

message 24: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Haha! This one seems very dark! Wow! I have to add this one. Excellent review, Michelle!"

Thanks, Mary Beth, you're a weirdo too! YAY! 😘

message 25: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Mary wrote: "Great review, Michelle! That quote... Now I have to read it!"

Thank you, Mary! 💞 It's dark and disgusting and, well, I hope you love it! Ha!

message 26: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Jayme wrote: "wow! you are braver than me! great review"

Thanks, Jayme! 💜 I'm glad it was quick read because 300 pages of unrelenting nastiness would be too much no matter how well written it was.

message 27: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Felicia wrote: "Yayyyyyy I knew you'd get into this brutal story. That quote takes me back. So good. Terrific review 💖"

Thanks, Felicia! 💖 You're one of my favorite weirdo's on here!

message 28: by Michelle (last edited Apr 11, 2019 05:50AM) (new) - added it

Michelle Lisa wrote: "Awesome review Michelle you have got me in on this one adding XO <3 :)"

Thanks, Lisa! 💕 I hope you'll still be my friend after you're done reading it! HA!

message 29: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Meredith wrote: "Lol, love your last sentence! Wonderful review, Michelle!"

Haha! Thank you so much, Meredith! 💟

message 30: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle JV ❄️☃️❄️ wrote: "Ohhhh! This is for meeee! Wheee! 😂 Excellent review, dear Michelle! 🥰"

Thanks a bunch, JV! 🧡 And thanks for being a weirdo too!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Fantastic review Michelle!

message 32: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review Michelle!"

Thank you very much, Lindsay! 💞

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie I'm a weirdo! LOL! Great review, Michelle!! 💕🤗

message 34: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Julie wrote: "I'm a weirdo! LOL! Great review, Michelle!! 💕🤗"

YAY! Us weirdo's need to stick together! Thank you, Julie! 🧡💚💙

message 35: by Sheyla ✎ (new)

Sheyla ✎ Fantastic review, Michelle!!

message 36: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Sheyla ✎ wrote: "Fantastic review, Michelle!!"

Thank you very much, Sheyla! 💖

message 37: by marilyn (new)

marilyn Great review and no way I'm reading this one! 🤣

message 38: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle marilyn wrote: "Great review and no way I'm reading this one! 🤣"

Haha! Thanks, Marilyn, and I don't blame you! 🤣