Anne's Reviews > The Den

The Den by Abi Maxwell

it was ok

Thank you to Penguin's First to Read for this ARC!

The Den is a coming of age story that follows two sets of sisters 150 years apart. Most of the book focuses on Jane and Henrietta in the 2000s. Henrietta becomes involved with a boy from town and then a married doctor and finds herself pregnant. Her younger sister Jane, who has been watching her sister become more wild and sexually active, is the most concerned about her sister's disappearance. Their story is echoed in the past with Elspeth and Claire, who have a similar dynamic. Elspeth becomes pregnant and moves to America with her husband, where she later disappears. Claire travels to America in search of answers to what happened to her sister. Both stories are tied together by "the Den" and the story of a family that turned into coyotes.

Unfortunately for me, this was just an okay book. I thought that the connection between all of the stories was interesting, but otherwise I found it kind of boring. I don't know if I was just not in the right mood for this book, but it was a real struggle to finish. It's not a bad book - I feel like it was fairly well written and books with interesting family dynamics are always good to see. I think this book would be enjoyable for some people, but I guess it's just not for me.

This review is also published on Penguin's First to Read website.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Den.

April 9, 2019 – Started Reading