booklady's Reviews > The Caboose Who Got Loose

The Caboose Who Got Loose by Bill Peet

Jul 20, 2008

bookshelves: 1990s, children, adventure, all-ages, young-children
Recommended for: train lovers

My oldest daughter loved trains when she was little; one of her first words was 'choo choo'. She received this book from her paternal grandparents as a Christmas gift when she was three and I read it to her so many times she had it memorized. I'm not saying it's for everyone or that it's great literature, but if you have any die-hard train fans out there--especially if they are little girls--this might be the book for them. It's about a little caboose named Katy and she has a hankering to be free of her train. Why she feels this way and how this dilemma is resolved are the crux of the story.

The story is told in verse form and illustrated throughout with bright colorful pencil drawings. The trains and other objects are animated (along the lines of Thomas the tank engine) adding to the books appeal.

My daughter still keeps this book on her bookshelf; she's almost seventeen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Caboose Who Got Loose.

08/06 marked as: read

message 1: by Homeschoolmama (new)

Homeschoolmama I love Bill Peet. I used to check out his books from the lib all the time for my son :0)

message 2: by Bear (new)

Bear "Twain, Mommy, TWAIN!"

booklady Ah yes! (sigh) Those days went by so quickly, didn't they?! Wouldn't it be neat if we could share this book with a grandchild someday?! ☺ God willing!