Kristen Burns's Reviews > No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished

No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished by Rachel Aaron

4 Stars

Review:
Another great book in this gripping urban fantasy series that continues to stand out from the crowd and feel very fresh and original! I loved all the same things that I did in the previous two books. Great plot/pacing. Great cast of unique and interesting characters. Great magic and creatures (dragons, spirits, mages). Great world-building (a future in which a meteor brought back magic to the world).

This book had more intensity though. It was also cool to learn more about Chelsie and her past. And this one was different since it was all about Julius leading the Council, which was a nice change of pace from him constantly running around and battling outside forces and basically just trying to avoid being killed. It gave him all different sorts of problems to deal with, and it let the reader understand even more about dragons, their mindsets, their ways of living, etc. It also meant we got to spend lots of time with Julius's family and meet more of his siblings, and I do find them all really interesting, even if some of them are awful.

Side note: I kinda love Ian. He's a manipulative, smooth-talking bastard who seems to only really care about himself, but at least he's not as murderous as the rest of the family and does support Julius's new system, even if it's only because he sees it as an opportunity to benefit himself. Also, any time he says he's going to make something happen, I don't even doubt him because he really is just that good. But mostly I just love how nothing ever ruffles his feathers. Every time Julius is like, "Well that went horribly," Ian is just like, "What are you talking about? That went great! I expected so much worse!" Everything just sloughs right off his back and doesn't faze him. I love it.

I haven't mentioned it in my reviews so far, but there's also a small bit of romance that is happening ever so slowly. It's not really a tension-filled slow burn, more like the characters have just been too preoccupied to think about it much. It's cute though.

There was one kind of ridiculous thing in this book though. Not something that affected my enjoyment, more like I just had to roll my eyes and laugh. *SPOILER* (view spoiler) *END SPOILER*

Anyway, this series is getting deeper and more intricate with each book, clearly building up to some bigger things *side eyes Bob*, and I'm really enjoying it and excited to see what's going to happen next!

Recommended For:
Fans of Books 1 and 2 in Rachel Aaron's Heartstrikers series. Anyone who likes dragon shifters, magic, a whole cast of unique characters, a fast-paced story, and some unique futuristic world-building.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished.

April 9, 2019 – Started Reading