Stephen's Reviews > Free to Choose

Free to Choose by Milton Friedman

M 50x66
Feb 15, 2012

Read from February 01 to March 04, 2012

While I’m no big advocate of a particular political system I thoroughly enjoyed Milton Friedman Free To Choose. He gives a clear and well thought out view on how our freedoms have been eroded. He goes into great detail on why power should not be concentrated by giving real world examples. Friedman advocates laissez-faire approach to economic policies and he shows time and time again how government policies cost our personal freedoms and how inefficient those policies are.

This pretty much says it all. Quote from Milton Friedman.

"There are four ways in which you can spend money. You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, you really pay attention to what you’re doing, and you try to get the most for your money. Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I’m not so careful about the content of the present, but I’m very careful about the cost. Then, I can spend somebody else’s money on myself. And if I spend somebody else’s money on myself, then I’m sure going to have a good lunch! Finally, I can spend somebody else’s money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else’s money on somebody else, I’m not concerned about how much it is, and I’m not concerned about what I get. And that’s government. And that’s close to 40% of our national income."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free to Choose.

06/01/2016 marked as: read