Holly (The Grimdragon)'s Reviews > Osgood As Gone

Osgood As Gone by Cooper S. Beckett

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, horror-mystery-thriller

"Osgood shouts into the dark. No echo returns. She lifts her face back to the beacons. Beyond it, the sky is inky black emptiness, absent of clouds and stars, as though her world has shrunk down to only this place, swallowed up into darkness by some great leviathan, or cruising through outer-outer-space in a bubble of black. She startles herself by barking out a laugh that sounds more like a rough cough. A wave of relief washes over her as the laugh is reflected and echoes back to her."

I was contacted by the author, Cooper S. Beckett, to review his upcoming novel, Osgood as Gone. I don't accept many indie requests for one reason or another and I don't normally read digital copies, but how could I say no to this?! I couldn't. I mean.. firstly, IT'S QUEER AS FUCK. Yes, please! The concept is a bit of urban fantasy/horror/thriller. I've been branching out more within the urban fantasy subgenre lately (this is my second just this month), so that's also rad!

Osgood as Gone is about Prudence Osgood, a purple-haired former paranormal investigative celebrity turned occult podcaster. She was in a car accident decades before when a semi plowed into her, nearly killing her. Now she self-medicates with drugs and alcohol. One day she receives a mysterious message that sends her and her assistant Zack on an investigation that involves a band and numerous missing people.

Osgood as Gone is a wonderfully addictive beginning to the Spectral Inspector series! It was refreshingly diverse, with a motley crew of characters that I dug a lot. Os is especially great! I clearly find myself drawn to the fucked up and flawed characters and she is certainly that. Also? I fucking adore Zack. What a cinnamon roll! HE MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS!!

Cults, ghost hunters, conspiracy theories & cringey sex.. OH MY!! This was a wild, twisty ride and just a shit ton of fun! THAT ENDING, THOUGH.

Beckett's writing is easy to fall into and I look forward to reading more from him!

“The drumbeats in the Hinterlands, Will lead me right to you…”

(Thanks again to Cooper S. Beckett for the chance to read this before it releases!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Osgood As Gone.

April 8, 2019 – Started Reading