Tina Dalton's Reviews > The Amber Spyglass

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

Feb 15, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, sci-fi, ya

After finishing the series, I can easily understand why people were upset about the author's attitude towards God and religion. However, I am comfortable enough with my own beliefs not feel threatened with his. Isn't this the point of literature, to get us thinking about our own feelings towards an issue? And I do agree with one of his main points, that we each of us needs to develop a heaven here on earth. I do not agree with his premise that when churches do horrible things, they are following the will of God. In my opinion, people do bad things on their own, not because God instructed them to. People make ghastly mistakes in life, and God shouldn't be blamed for that. That was my main issue with the plot, but as I said, I was still able to read it, think about it, and enjoy the story line despite my disagreement with the author on that point. In fact, I did enjoy the amount of introspection this series caused me to undertake. It was very enlightening to think about these things and realize my own feelings on the issues he addressed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amber Spyglass.