Lex's Reviews > Puppet Parade

Puppet Parade by Zeinab Alayan

Feb 15, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Lex by: Zeinab Alayan
Recommended for: Everyone; all ages.
Read from February 15 to 28, 2012 — I own a copy

The title for this book couldn't have been any better. On first glance, one understands what it means immediately; however, on further inspection, it actually holds a bit of an inside joke behind its meaning once you finish the book.

The two main characters, Oliver and Sophie, start off in isolation from the world around them and meet under previously thought unlikely circumstances. Oliver was cut off from the world by choice and Sophie was cut off through no choice of her own. Together they rely, trust, and care for each other as both grow out of their former situations and into new people and new lives.

The situations, surroundings, and people that weave in and out of the chapters keeps the amusement alive, the curiosity true, and the suspense underlying. Halfway through, you, the reader, get a sort of confirmation that all is not what it seems. The truth behind the Parade is more sinister and unexpected than I could have ever guessed - and I hope it is for the average reader as well because the shock is satisfying.

Zeinab Alayan took an idea that may seem weird, at a distance, and crafted it into a gem that I hope will be uncovered by many. The characters are each unique and provoke emotion from the reader, and they also grow slowly but accurately throughout. The puppets have their biggest interactions in the first half and add to the excitement and amusement the Parade brings - an idyllic and non-existent world.

This book receives 5 stars by me as there was not one aspect of that I didn't love. The ending was satisfying to the climax just a chapter earlier that startled and nearly had me cheering.

So grab a drink, pull up a chair, and please read this fantastic book. You won't regret it at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Puppet Parade.

02/15/2012 page 73