Traveller's Reviews > The Steampunk Bible

The Steampunk Bible by Jeff VanderMeer

bookshelves: steampunk, sf, partly-read, alternate-world

Four and a half stars, derived as follows: 5 stars for Steampunk fans, and 3 and a half - 4 stars for everybody else.

This is a beautifully illustrated book full of interesting articles. Even if you aren't a Steampunk fan (yet), this book might well convert you.

The genre seems to have a nostalgic appeal, especially to those who enjoy things Victorian.

From an article in the book: "At it's best, SP is unabashedly positive and inclusive in it's outlook, encouraging applied imagination put to both fanciful and practical purposes. Although some Steampunks are escapists - using the accoutrements of the Victorian period without reference to imperialism or the social inequities of the era - many see their efforts as a way to repurpose the best of that time while correcting for the worst. Today, Steampunk enclaves exist all over the world, making the subculture truly international.

Now, that does sound like fun, doesn't it?
The ship below reminds me of the airship in Gene Wolfe's "New Sun" universe.

The perfect coffee table volume for the SF/Steampunk lover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Steampunk Bible.

February 15, 2012 – Shelved
April 5, 2012 – Started Reading
April 5, 2012 – Shelved as: steampunk
April 5, 2012 – Shelved as: sf
April 5, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 5, 2012 – Shelved as: alternate-world
April 2, 2016 – Shelved as: partly-read

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Jeff VanderMeer is probably worth the price of admission alone. Sounds lovely.

message 2: by Traveller (last edited Apr 05, 2012 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Traveller It arrived in the mail yesterday. I'd probably have preferred it to be even bigger and thicker, but it seems perfect for someone like me who was sort of poised on the edge of becoming a Steampunk fan.

I've been a PC gamer for many years now, not of the "shooter" variety mind you - I play games that have 'stories') and have always enjoyed games that have a touch of Steampunk in them. The genre seems to have a nostalgic appeal.

Now, that does sound like fun, doesn't it?

message 3: by Traveller (last edited Apr 05, 2012 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Traveller LOL! There's a 'postcard from Venus', showing a fictional SF depiction of the planet Venus, with a Livingstone-type explorer standing in the picture, with a caption, saying: "Postcard from Venus. Wish you were here!"

Richard Derus Requested from the liberry. This is book #81 in my currently active list.

And it's *YOUR* fault.

Traveller It's fun! I thought it was nice as a sort of steampunk collector's item, not least good was that i got it at a good price... :P

Richard Derus Since I'm gettin' it for tax money I've already paid, I think it's a great deal!

message 7: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark The only problem I foresee is wishing I could leap inside the book!

Traveller I thought it's visually very enticing, yes..
Hmm, suddenly i can only see the middle picture. There should be 3 images visible in my review. Can you see 3 images?

message 9: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark I can only see the one pic, too! It's a nice one, though :)

message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline I see three pix and am enjoying all of them. I too have a fondness for steampunk, albeit from a long distance. I think it must be good fun.

Traveller Yes, fun is the key word. I've actually thought to myself that I really wouldn't enjoy all that smoke coming from er... steam engines, but the focus is on whacky inventions, mostly. :)

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline On the photo site flickr I used to do a lot of composite images (pix made up by using a collection features from other people's images). I always really hankered after doing some pix in the steampunk tradition, but was never really able to manage it.... Here are two of my closest efforts, but they fall short by a long way ....

Traveller Caroline wrote: "On the photo site flickr I used to do a lot of composite images (pix made up by using a collection features from other people's images). I always really hankered after doing some pix in the steam..."

I love those photo's! Some of them are deliciously creepy. I had some trouble with my password needing to be renewed when trying to log in, otherwise I would have "liked" them there, but I will later.

Are you a professional artist, or do you do art as a hobby, if I may ask, Caroline?

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline How very sweet of you! I am totally amateur. A million years ago I did a degree in photography, but that is all, and it was way before the deliciousness of Photoshop :-)

message 15: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Do give me a link to your flickr stream please...