Sheila Goicea's Reviews > Cursed: The Hunter Inside

Cursed by Casey M. Millette

liked it
bookshelves: 2018-releases, dragons, ya-fantasy, 2019-completed-reads, arc, adventure

See my full review of this book on my blog along with others at: foalsfictionandfiligree.com.

I received a copy of this book via The Parliament House in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

description

Content Warning: Death, Violence, Gore, Cannibalism

description

For having been written by a sixteen-year-old author, this book is a feat! There are several passages throughout this book which are a true joy to read. Millett’s sense of writing in high-fantasy style is there, and mimics a Tolkien-style world. Told from the perspective of a twenty-year-old male protagonist (I know, rare in this day and age) Aldor leads the reader on a massive adventure.

To be a twenty-year-old and not have more than one friend is quite an odd thing. Aldor, however, quickly accrues a “squad” of friends who join him on a long and arduous quest. Aldor, seemingly inexperienced as he sets out, quickly becomes very experienced in fighting and the like, which just isn’t logical.

The most-developed portion of this book are the various creatures and encounters with them. Scenes when these creatures appear are long, well-executed, and very descriptive. This too, is where this book resembles popular worlds like in The Lord of the Rings, The Wheel of Time, and even Pirates of the Caribbean.

In general, when viewing the story as a whole, it feels disjointed as scenes jump from one action scene to the next without much tying them together in-between. Because of this, the plot was hard to follow at times. I feel like with some editing and adding more of the “in-between” scenes to balance it out, this book would be quite enjoyable.

Vulgarity: Minimal.
Sexual content: None.
Violence: Quite a bit.

My Rating: ★★1/2

My Blog ¦ Bookstagram ¦ Twitter ¦ Pinterest ¦ Facebook

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cursed.

April 8, 2019 – Started Reading