Aisha's Reviews > How We Disappeared

How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee

I think Jing-Jing Lee made a brave decision to tell the stories of ethnic Chinese who lived in Singapore during the Japanese occupation,with a large focus on ‘comfort women’. How We Disappeared broke my heart, I won’t lie.

Unlike a number of heartbreaking books I’ve read this year, its blurb laid out, briefly, what I was getting into but even that wasn’t enough to stop the triggers 😭. I think the fact that I never knew it really happened contributed to it. So if you’re easily triggered, by any form of rape/ sexual assault, I recommend you approach this book, very very carefully but don’t shy away from reading it because of the triggers. I say this because I feel this book is a silent ode, an apology of some sort, to women who lost their essences while being forced to experience unspeakable violations as “comfort women” for the same people who destroyed their lives.

Having said all these, I want to commend Lee’s writing style. She used 3 voices, basically, but does it in a song-like manner. I’ll admit I found it confusing at the beginning but I fell in line along the way. I think with a little more work, the writing style will be perfect. I also admired how she was able to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, even the soldiers . Lee managed to convince me to re-evaluate the anger that developed while reading.

I don’t not like anything about this book so it’s a 5-star read for me. I think it was beautifully written and I cried. A lot. I thank Jing-Jing Lee for allowing me cry for the women whose stories birthed this book. It’s my apology to them, my way of saying sorry that the world didn’t know about their struggles.
I encourage you to get this book, read it, review it because think it would also be ode from you.

Thank you Kate Bland at One World Publishing for sending me a review copy of this book. How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee will be out MAY 2ND

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Disappeared.

April 8, 2019 – Started Reading