Lindsay's Reviews > Holy Sister

Holy Sister by Mark  Lawrence

bookshelves: fantasy

What can I say? A masterful conclusion to a superb trilogy? It's definitely that, but I don't think it fully conveys how brilliant this series is and how amazing Nona Gray is now, three years older than we saw her in Grey Sister.

The Empire is retreating against the forces of the Durns and the Scithrowl from either direction of the narrowing Corridor as the orbital mirror that the people of Abeth call their Moon slowly fails. Enemies of the Emperor have become reluctant allies, but the scheming continues as people like Sherzal and the Tacsis family use the turmoil to gain power. Sweet Mercy Convent has undergone changes since the previous book and Nona and Ara are finally on the brink of becoming Sisters Cage and Thorn and playing out the framing events of the first book.

"It is important, when killing a nun, to ensure that you bring an army of sufficient size."

Well, the Scithrowl are numberless and they're on the steps of Emperor with a whole lot of nuns in the way.

These books have been heavy on the foreshadowing, and there is so much payoff here for setups from the previous books, but there are tragedies as well. It's all deeply satisfying and I strongly recommend this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Sister.

April 7, 2019 – Started Reading