Julie's Reviews > Death at Wentwater Court

Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn

bookshelves: 2019

Murder at Wentworth Court by Carola Dunn is a 2006 Kensington publication. (Originally published in 1994)

A genuine whodunit set back in the 1920s!

When Daisy Dalrymple, a photographer and journalist arrives at Wentworth Court to work on a feature article about the historical home, she soon finds herself embroiled in a host of family dramas, while trying to discourage a rather ardent admirer.

But, when another guest is found dead, the apparent victim of an ice -skating mishap, Daisy suspects foul play. After Daisy alerts Alec Fletcher of her suspicions, the pair team up, making an unlikely but very effective detective team. But, can they draw out a potential murderer and discover their motive?

Believe it or not, I have never read a book by Carola Dunn. It's not that I was unaware of her, but somehow, I just never got around to reading any of her work. My library and Hoopla have been prominently displaying her mystery novels recently, and even have them in audio- which I’ll have to try with the next book in the series. When I realized this series was set during the 1920s, despite my solemn vow not to start another series, I couldn’t resist, especially since the books aren’t very long.

I loved, loved, loved all the 1920s vernacular, and Daisy is definitely a woman ahead of her time. The mystery is very well done, with a ‘golden age’ atmosphere to it. A house full of possible suspects, the process of elimination, and then the big surprise reveal- which turned out to be a total surprise. It’s a formula that’s been used countless times, but, if it is done right, it always seems to work.

Overall, the mystery is light, clean, fun, and pretty much what I expected it to be. I’m glad I caved and added yet another series to my TBR pile. It’s fun to slip into a ‘cosy’ style mystery with familiar characters from time to time. So, I’m going to stop worrying about how many series I start or how long it takes to finish them. I’m having fun discovering new series and old ones too, and enjoy all of them- and that’s all that matters, right?

I think I’m going to like Daisy Dalrymple a lot and can’t wait to see what she gets up to next.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death at Wentwater Court.

April 7, 2019 – Shelved
April 7, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 12, 2019 – Started Reading
August 4, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
August 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)

message 1: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fantastic review Julie! I love a good series too! Watching the characters grow and take hold over the years!

message 2: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Delightful review! 😀🔰 So glad you enjoyed it 💖👸

message 3: by Beata (new)

Beata Love the sound of it, Julie :)) I'll definitely check this title :) Grand review! :)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lovely review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed <3 x

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Sounds great Julie, wonderful review 😘

message 6: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie I love the throwback idea. Sounds intriguing! Fantastic review :)

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! I love a good series too! Watching the characters grow and take hold over the years!"

Thank you, Kaceey!! I do too. I enjoy touching base with the familiar characters. 😊😊

Julie Maureen wrote: "Sounds great Julie, wonderful review 😘"

Thank you, Maureen!! 😊😊

Julie Mackenzie wrote: "I love the throwback idea. Sounds intriguing! Fantastic review :)"

Thank you, Mackenzie!! The twenties era setting is a real blast. One of my favorite decades. 😊😊

Julie Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Lovely review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed <3 x"

Thank you, Alex!! 😊😊

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Delightful review! 😀🔰 So glad you enjoyed it 💖👸"

Thank you, TQ!! 😊😊

Julie Beata wrote: "Love the sound of it, Julie :)) I'll definitely check this title :) Grand review! :)"

Thank you, Beata!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 😊😊

message 13: by KAS (new)

KAS So glad you enjoyed this “cozy” mystery, Julie ;) Love Daisy’s full name. Terrific review, dear friend!! 💚💜❤️

Julie KAS wrote: "So glad you enjoyed this “cozy” mystery, Julie ;) Love Daisy’s full name. Terrific review, dear friend!! 💚💜❤️"

Thank you, KAS!! I love that name too!! Too cute! 😊💖😊

message 15: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Wonderful review, Julie! 💖🌹

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! 💖🌹"

Thank you, Paromjit!! 💖😊

message 17: by Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* (last edited Aug 04, 2019 03:00PM) (new)

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Superb review, Julie! 🌺

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Superb review, Julie! 🌺"

Thank you, Mary Beth!! 😊💖😊

message 19: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford Great review Julie !!

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie B Nice review, Julie!

message 21: by Cherie (new) - added it

Cherie I have started to get this one several times from my library, but never did. Now that I read your great review on it, I know I need to get it. I love the Golden Age whodunit mysteries.

message 22: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Fabulous review Julie!!💖😉💋💗👍

Julie Lucy wrote: "Great review Julie !!"

Thank you very much, Lucy!! 💖

Julie Kat wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!!💖😉💋💗👍"

Thank you so much, Kat!! 💖

Julie Cherie wrote: "I have started to get this one several times from my library, but never did. Now that I read your great review on it, I know I need to get it. I love the Golden Age whodunit mysteries."

Thank you, Cherie!! I think you'll enjoy this one. The dialogue is so fun!! 💖

Julie Katie wrote: "Nice review, Julie!"

Thank you, Katie!! 💖

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Terrific review Julie, glad to see you enjoyed it! :)

Julie Sandra wrote: "Terrific review Julie, glad to see you enjoyed it! :)"

Thank you so much, Sandra!! 💖

message 29: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Not my genre, but your review is terrific, Julie.

Julie Angela M wrote: "Not my genre, but your review is terrific, Julie."

Thank you so much, Angela. 💖

message 31: by JanB (new)

JanB Fantastic review Julie. I love your attitude to not worry about all the series you have to read but just enjoy the reading. This sounds so charming. I love the cover 💖

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy I totally agree! Start new series if you want to! :)

Julie JanB wrote: "Fantastic review Julie. I love your attitude to not worry about all the series you have to read but just enjoy the reading. This sounds so charming. I love the cover 💖"

Thank you, Jan!! It was a very impressive little cozy!! I think I'm going to love this series! 😊💖😊

Julie Amy wrote: "I totally agree! Start new series if you want to! :)"

Thank you, Amy!! I may end up reading nothing but series', but what the heck? 💖

message 35: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Sounds great Julie💕🤗

message 36: by Libby (new)

Libby Wonderful review Julie! I love making new discoveries and having fun with my reading, yes, fun is a big motivation.

Julie Holly wrote: "Sounds great Julie💕🤗"

Thank you, Holly! You might like this one! 💖

Julie Libby wrote: "Wonderful review Julie! I love making new discoveries and having fun with my reading, yes, fun is a big motivation."

Thank you, Libby!! Yes, right now, books are a soothing balm. No need to pressure myself unnecessarily. 💖

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria What a fun and effervescent review, Julie! And I just love the protagonist's name...Daisy Dalrymple...if I had a cat, that's what I'd name her. 😻

Julie Victoria wrote: "What a fun and effervescent review, Julie! And I just love the protagonist's name...Daisy Dalrymple...if I had a cat, that's what I'd name her. 😻"

Thank you, Victoria!! You should get a cat, just so you can name her after Daisy!! 😁😺😁

message 41: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 💖