Adam's Reviews > Parenting With Love and Logic

Parenting With Love and Logic by Foster W. Cline

bookshelves: psychology

Thesis:
Parents need to teach kids how to be responsible decision makers.

Summary:
Parents need to relinquish some control to help children grow in their ability to make good choices. Instead of barking orders or giving them complete freedom, parents should engage kids with love and logic to show them the consequences that naturally flow from their decisions.

Impressions:
Like many of these family psychology texts, this one has a lot of cheesy writing, unbelievable dialog, and cliches. The overarching idea is valuable, however.

I came to this text after being repeatedly frustrated with my relationship with my children and wanting to improve my parenting. I can see that I solidly fall into what the authors call a “drill sergeant” parent role. After beginning to implement the authors’ approach, I can see that I’m a calmer and more convincing authority for my kids and that they are starting to think more about their choices.

I wish the authors were more realistic with many of their scenarios. Some of the examples are silly, such as allowing a child to wear inadequate clothing in 20 degree weather to teach them how to make better choices.

Takeaways:
* Be emotional when things are good. Be unemotional and rational when things are bad.
* Give your child choices that allow them to learn from consequences. If they refuse to choose, wait to resolve it until later.
* Show real love and empathy when kids are unhappy about the consequences of their bad decisions.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parenting With Love and Logic.

March 25, 2019 – Started Reading