Larry H's Reviews > The Girl He Used to Know

The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves

Wow, wow, WOW. This book was amazing.

"It's like everyone around you has a copy of the script of life, but no one gave it to you so you have to go in blind and hope you can muddle your way through. And you'll be wrong most of the time."

Annika Rose is different from other people. She's much more comfortable with solitude, and would much rather be in the company of animals, hiding under her comforter and reading a book, or getting lost in a competitive game of chess than spending time with her fellow undergraduates at the University of Illinois.

She dreams of life as a librarian, surrounded by books, but she often doesn't notice social cues, and she wishes that people would be more direct about what they think and feel rather than make her figure it out. Luckily, Annika has her roommate, Janice, to help her navigate through the confusing and anxiety-provoking world of college.

When Annika meets Jonathan Hoffman in her senior year at a meeting of the school's chess club, she can't quite understand why he's interested in talking to her, or continuing to play her once she beat him, badly. She knows she's attractive (she's been told her face is "aesthetically pleasing") but she's sure that he'd be more interested in someone more comfortable in social situations, a girl who wears makeup and enjoys going to bars and listening to loud music.

But Jonathan keeps coming back, and after a while he makes it clear that he's interested in Annika, and he's willing to help calm her fears and understand the things that make her nervous or anxious, because he wants a relationship with her.

The two fall deeply in love and begin to plan a future together in New York City after graduation. It's not always an easy path—sometimes Annika misses Jonathan's signals, or is unable to do the things he hopes she will—but with Jonathan, for the first time since leaving home, she feels safe, understood, and loved. But even the intensity of their love isn't enough to withstand an unexpected obstacle which tears them apart, leaving them to chart the course of the future on their own.

Ten years later, Annika is living in Chicago and working at a library. She's a much stronger person than she was in college, and she understands her role in what happened in her relationship with Jonathan. But despite keeping up a strong façade, she's utterly unprepared to run into him in a grocery store. He's back in the area after a career on Wall Street and a divorce, and seeing Annika again rekindles all the old feelings. But can he trust his heart to give her a second chance?

Annika is determined to show Jonathan how much she has changed, and is willing to take it slow if that's what it takes. Can a relationship that was so intense the first time pick up where it left off, after so much has transpired between them? Is Jonathan still willing to accept Annika the way she is? Can they move past the things that drove them apart, and can they finally have the future they had dreamed of?

The Girl He Used to Know is an utterly fantastic book which blew me away. I read the entire book on a plane ride home. Tracey Garvis Graves has created an incredible set of characters, with such complexity and depth, and this love story is a special one. There are so many books out there that similarities with other novels are expected, but I really felt this was a beautifully unique story, despite a few more familiar plot twists.

I read the plot synopsis of this book a few weeks ago, so I honestly didn't remember what it was about when I started reading it. I loved where Graves took her story (although I'll admit I wanted more) and I just love the way she writes. There are moments in this book—not even the highly dramatic ones, but the quieter, "ah ha" moments—that just took my breath away.

Run, don't walk, to get this one.

See all of my reviews at itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com.

Check out my list of the best books I read in 2018 at https://itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-best-books-i-read-in-2018.html.

You can follow me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/yrralh/.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl He Used to Know.

April 7, 2019 – Started Reading
April 7, 2019 – Shelved
April 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)

Ashley I loved this book! 🔥🔥🔥

message 2: by Toni (new) - added it

Toni Larry, sounds interesting, you talked me into it! Thanks.

Tammy Fabulous review, Larry!! Adding! 😊

message 4: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review Larry! You’ve sold me. This sounds like a wonderful story. 😊

☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾ Beautiful review!

Michelle So glad you read this and loved it as much as I did! It was fantastic in every way.

Lorilin Agreed. I loved it too 😄

message 8: by Fergus (new)

Fergus WONDERFUL review! Thanks.

〰️Beth〰️ Another great review Larry😊

message 10: by Felicia (new)

Felicia I'm kicking myself for not requesting this one 😫 terrific review, Larry 💖

Brandice Wonderful review for a wonderful book, Larry! I absolutely Loveddd this one! :)

message 12: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Larry.

message 13: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn Love your review! This sounds like a great book!

Susan This is a book that has definitely stuck with me. So many I have read have dimmed in my mind, but Annika and Jonathan's story is still shining bright. Loved it too Larry!!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Wow! This sounds terrific! I’ll have to get my hands on a copy ASAP!

message 16: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Yeah....that was a doozy of a review of a review, Larry. The innerbookaddict will be doing stretches to loosen up before donning his spiffy little running shoes when we sprint down to the store once it's been released!!

Larry H Ashley wrote: "I loved this book! 🔥🔥🔥"

It was so great!!

Larry H Toni wrote: "Larry, sounds interesting, you talked me into it! Thanks."

Thanks, Toni! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Larry H Tammy wrote: "Fabulous review, Larry!! Adding! 😊"

Thanks, Tammy! Hope it works for you!

Larry H Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Larry! You’ve sold me. This sounds like a wonderful story. 😊"

Thanks, Nicola! You've hit the nail on the head--it is a wonderful story.

Larry H ☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ wrote: "Beautiful review!"

Thank you!!

Larry H Michelle wrote: "So glad you read this and loved it as much as I did! It was fantastic in every way."

That's the absolute truth, Michelle!

Larry H Lorilin wrote: "Agreed. I loved it too 😄"

It was just so good in so many ways!!

Larry H Fergus wrote: "WONDERFUL review! Thanks."

Thanks so much, Fergus!!

Larry H 〰️Beth〰️ wrote: "Another great review Larry😊"

Thanks, Beth!!

Larry H Felicia wrote: "I'm kicking myself for not requesting this one 😫 terrific review, Larry 💖"

I understand, Felicia! Sometimes the number of requests can be overwhelming! Thanks!!

Larry H Brandice wrote: "Wonderful review for a wonderful book, Larry! I absolutely Loveddd this one! :)"

Thanks so much, Brandice! It was so wonderful!!

Larry H Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Larry."

Thanks, Angela!!

Larry H Lynn wrote: "Love your review! This sounds like a great book!"

Thanks, Lynn! It really is a wonderful book!

Larry H Susan wrote: "This is a book that has definitely stuck with me. So many I have read have dimmed in my mind, but Annika and Jonathan's story is still shining bright. Loved it too Larry!!"

I agree with you completely, Susan! What a memorable and special book this was!

Larry H Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wow! This sounds terrific! I’ll have to get my hands on a copy ASAP!"

Thanks, Linds! Can't wait to see what you think!!

Larry H Mike wrote: "Yeah....that was a doozy of a review of a review, Larry. The innerbookaddict will be doing stretches to loosen up before donning his spiffy little running shoes when we sprint down to the store onc..."

Lol, Mike! It is in stores now, so better get those running shoes on!! :)

message 33: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Exquisite review.

Cheri Absolutely wonderful review, Larry! I read this a while back, and it really surprised me so much in the best way possible. So happy that you loved it!

message 35: by Annette (new) - added it

Annette C Very good review, Larry. I read this last week and cried my guts out over the last forty pages. I loved this book so much.

Christine Yes, yes, yes, Larry! Just a beautiful book.

message 37: by Michelle David (new)

Michelle David nice book

message 38: by Fergus (new)

Fergus That’s IT, Larry! I’ll buy this one TODAY! TYSM.

message 39: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Larry!😉

Kim ~ Traveling Sister Fantastic review! I felt exactly the same way. I will never forget this book, it made me smile and cry!