Becca's Reviews > Osgood As Gone

Osgood As Gone by Cooper S. Beckett

bookshelves: lgbt-rep, bex-s-recommendations

Thank you to Cooper S. Beckett for providing me with a copy of Osgood as Gone in exchange for an honest review!

I gotta start this review with a little bit of cheese. I am so so so thankful that Cooper S. Beckett is a person, because he wrote the book that I had an inkling that I needed, but never knew it’d actually exist in my lifetime. Thank you Cooper S. Beckett — for giving me the new love of my life, Osgood, while also providing me with a Hell of a good time.

Osgood as Gone is the start of the The Spectral Inspector series which follows a queer ghost hunter (y’all queer ghost hunter is what originally sold me~) named Prudence Osgood. She’s a barely functioning alcoholic who suffers from physical & mental pain. While checking her e-mail one day, she finds a cryptic message that leads her on a mission that may be more connected to her past than she originally thought.

I fell in love with Osgood. I’ve always been a sucker for a damaged character (see: Jessica Jones), who’s extremely rough around the edges (again, see: Jessica Jones). Give me attitude, give me sass & give a woman that will kick my… Really, though, I loved her from the get-go & I love that this story gave me a queer girl (who identifies as bi or pan) without making that her main storyline. Yes, I loved any mention of her sexuality, but that wasn’t what this story was about & that, my ghouls, made it absolutely amazing. OH! & there’s mentions of polyamorous relationships! Hashtag BLESSED.

The mystery & spooky of Osgood as Gone had me mouthing ‘what the frick’ multiple times. There were twists, there were turns & there’s absolutely zero straightness to this read (that was a joke that probably just flopped). It’s definitely a read that will keep you on the edge of your seat & have you questioning what’s happening throughout.

Cooper S. Beckett’s writing is absolutely beautiful & gripping. Honestly, if life would stop rearing its ugly head at me, I would have probably had this read done so much quicker than I did. I can imagine there will be people who read this book in a day & want more of Cooper’s work.

Also it’s worth noting (because I’m a sucker for these kind of additions), there’s amazing spooky artwork separating sections in the novel that’s very reminiscent to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I absolutely adored the artwork & it added even more umph to Osgood as Gone.

I really can not wait for more books to come out in this series! I will be following Osgood to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Osgood As Gone.

April 7, 2019 – Shelved