Dan Schwent's Reviews > Little, Big

Jul 20, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in October, 2008

Little, Big is the story fo a family that lives in a house called Edgewood, far to the north of The City. It follows the family from generation to generation. Let's just say fairies play a part in the lives of the Drinkwaters and their relatives.

The only book I can compare it to at the moment is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, but that's more of a subject matter thing. The writing is very rich and detailed. While I was reading it, I thought it would be the best book I read that year. Whatever year that was. I felt like it all fell apart at the end.

I'll have to re-read it again once the pile gets down to a manageable level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little, Big.

10/06/2008 page 1
10/07/2008 page 23
4.28% "Good but it might take longer than I thought."
10/10/2008 page 71
13.2% "Didn't get much reading done at lunch. Apparently an open book is an invitation to come chat with me."
10/12/2008 page 267
49.63% "Reminds me of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell in places."
10/13/2008 page 276
51.3% "300 more pages to go."
10/14/2008 page 343
63.75% "Sylvie, no! What does Eigenblick have to do with the rest of the story?"
10/14/2008 page 436
81.04% "The story has really taken off since the focus shifted to Auberon"
10/15/2008 page 493
91.64% "My girlfriend is really cutting into my reading time."
show 11 hidden updates…

Michael I'm always happy when anyone reads this excellent book.

message 2: by Purity (new)

Purity Anddeath I'm trying to get through it but it's so hard... -_-; I dropped it once and just read another 30 pages or so and I can see why I moved on. There's nothing happening and it's killing me. XD

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Purity wrote: "I'm trying to get through it but it's so hard... -_-; I dropped it once and just read another 30 pages or so and I can see why I moved on. There's nothing happening and it's killing me. XD"

I wish I would have abandoned it instead of spending over a week plodding through.

message 4: by Purity (last edited Mar 21, 2014 03:42AM) (new)

Purity Anddeath I think I'm going to drop it and start Canticle for Leibowitz.

Even in the good reviews I just don't see anything interesting. They're all "It's amazing!" But it's like... They think it's amazing for the reasons I think it's dull as hell.

I don't care about your stupid family in the middle of nowhere. Why are they all so retarded and boring? The most interesting character was quickly glossed over and then he killed himself. I can see why, these people would make me want to kill myself too.

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent I thought the writing was good but it took forever to go anywhere.

Never read Canticle for Leibowitz. I hope it's good.

message 6: by Sheila (new) - added it

Sheila reading this now, its a surprisingly hard read. I am enjoying it and am annoyed by it at the same time!

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Sheila wrote: "reading this now, its a surprisingly hard read. I am enjoying it and am annoyed by it at the same time!"

That's how I remember feeling. The writing was really rich but it didn't seem like much happened.

message 8: by Stuart (new) - added it

Stuart Even the fans of Little, Big say the writing is rich and beautiful but nothing really happens for hundreds of pages. I have the audiobook read by the author, so I wonder if that would be easier to digest or not?
Has anyone read Crowley's Engine Summer (1980). It's much shorter and was included in David Pringle's 100 Best SF Novels.
I really didn't like A Canticle for Leibowitz for reasons I detailed in my review.