Dusty Crabtree's Reviews > The Girl Who Remembered Horses

The Girl Who Remembered Horses by Linda  Benson

7672003
Feb 14, 2012

Read in July, 2012

Linda Benson is definitely a talented writer. The way she crafts words together draws the reader in, creating an intriguing atmosphere the lulls the reader soothingly into the post-apocolyptic world she’s created. A simpler world than the one we live in now. A world of barren wilderness and tribal-like customs where the main character, a young girl named Sahara, uses her unique bond with animals to prove to everyone they were wrong about horses.

In all honesty, I’m kind of surprised I loved the book so much. The types of books I generally gravitate towards are ones with older teen female protagonists, with lots of mystery, twisted romance, fantastical elements, and suspense. The Girl Who Remembered Horses did have suspense, but the plot itself didn’t scream to the reader, “You must keep reading to find out what’s going to happen!” Instead, the author’s writing style and the way you found yourself getting attached to the protagonist and her plight were what made you keep turning page after page, devouring chapter after chapter. It wasn’t a drive to get to the end or find out what was going to happen. It was a desire to linger in the pages and live in the story.

Despite it being geared toward a younger audience with a protagonist the age of 12 and 13, I didn’t seem to mind one bit. It wasn’t dumbed down at all, and although Linda didn’t use very big vocabulary (as to not scare off or confuse her target audience), her use of words and the flow of her writing doesn’t make adult readers feel they are reading a kid’s book.

I loved the pace as well. Not too fast, not too slow. Although, my only complaint, without giving anything away, is that I didn’t want to end. Especially where it did. It had a great ending, but I wanted much more! I wanted to stay there longer and see what else was going to come of Sahara and her horse.

If you’re an animal-lover or especially a horse-lover, you must read this book! You would absolutely love it! But even if not, you should definitely check out this book! With all of the other choices out there, especially for older teens and adults, you may look at this heartwarming young adult book the same way I often look at family-oriented, heartwarming movies like We Bough a Zoo, Facing the Giants, The Blind Side, etc. They look good, but I’m not really sure I’m in the mood to watch them. Then when I do, I’m so glad I did! The Girl Who Remembered Horses is a refreshing and heart-warming story, one that leaves you smiling and ready to go about the rest of your day with a renewed spirit and fresh look at the world. We all need that from time to time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Remembered Horses.