Linda Martin's Reviews > Chronicles, Vol. 1

Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Bob Dylan

bookshelves: 2019, popsugar-reading-challenge-2019, music, non-fiction, memoirs, new-york, minnesota

Seriously, one of the best books I've ever read, and not just because it was written by a great musician. I love the writing style and descriptions! There was no point at which this book lagged for me. I was always happy to be reading it.

I enjoyed learning about the places he visited, and even more, about the literature he read and musicians who contributed to his inspiration as a young folk singer. I was especially touched by his relationship with Woody Guthrie and his love for Guthrie's songs.

Dedication to folk songs and the musicians who created them, and obsessive study of all kinds of music ... these brought Bob Dylan from obscurity to unexpected legendary status. He went beyond just popularity and in the irreversible notoriety of extreme stardom, retreated into a desperate search for privacy for himself and his family. Reclusive and busy with family life, he nearly lost his desire to perform publicly or write songs, but it never was far away... it was just temporarily repressed.

There are only five chapters in this book and the last four are extremely long. I liked that because it is unusual. Every book doesn't have to resemble the others, and this book stands out for writing I'll return to again and again, just to study the way it is written!

I have to be honest. I'm not Bob Dylan's biggest fan so a lot of this information was new to me... but back when I was a teenager (1960's) and young adult (1970's) I did play folk guitar and had a few of his songs in my repertoire. I quit playing the guitar while my two youngest children were growing up and a few years ago, bought another guitar and discovered I'd lost all that finger picking skill I used to have. However, I'm planning to keep trying. I'll be going on a journey soon... maybe one that will last the rest of my life, and the guitar will be going with me... as well as my entire art studio. I'll be in a large van, and would rather have an art studio than a kitchen in there.

Bob Dylan's book should be mandatory reading for any musician... probably best read at the beginning of their careers. I'm sorry I waited 15 years after publication to read it... because it has inspired me in a mind opening kind of way. I read it for the 2019 PopSugar Reading Challenge prompt #3 - a book by a musician.

I rarely reread a book, but this one would definitely be worth a second read. There are so many references to literature and musicians to research while reading it. That would keep me busy for a while. Unfortunately the week I read this, my computer was in a repair shop in Houston. Just got it back today and would love to look for videos of all those musicians he mentioned.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chronicles, Vol. 1.

April 6, 2019 – Started Reading