fleurette's Reviews > The Venetian Betrayal

The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-thriller

The Venetian Betrayal

This is my first book by Steve Berry, I haven’t read any of the previous books in this series. I don’t know Cotton Malone beyond this book or any other character. It wasn’t a serious issue, but I couldn’t overlook it totally too.

It made more difficult for me to attach to Malone, for example. To those who know him from previous book he already is a three-dimensional, complicated character I’m sure. To me he isn’t that developed as a hero. I still like him but I would like to know him more. Or spend a bit more time in the book with him. I believe he can be a very interesting hero.

The plot is pretty okay. The conspiracy theory linked to the Alexander the Great is well-thought and has no major inconsistencies. It’s entertaining and attention-grabbing.

I’ve got a degree in political science, in international relations particularly, and sometimes I find the alternative arrangement of political forces or the whole political intrigue terribly tendentious or completely implausible or even against any existing political theories. It makes me pretty mad. Fortunately, this part is quite well-made in this book. The scholar in me would still have some doubts, but for the sake of fiction I can ignore those and enjoy the plot.

Still, there is something missing in this book, I’m not really sure what. Maybe it’s my inability to fully attach to the characters or maybe something else that stops me from giving this book more than 3 stars. I recommend this book anyway as an easy and nice read but to be totally honest I have had better ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Venetian Betrayal.

April 6, 2019 – Started Reading