Tess Mertens-Johnson's Reviews > The Most Dangerous Thing

The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman

Feb 14, 2012

This is the story of childhood friends Tim, Sean and Gordon "Go-Go" Halloran, Mickey and Gwen who grew up together in a small town. They met as children a "vagabond" called Chicken George who lived on a shack in the woods. One night, Chicken George is "pushed" off a cliff, hurts his head and dies. The parents cover up the incident as the reasoning was Chicken George was touching Go Go in an inappropriate way.
The book begins with an adult Go-Go running his car into a wall while intoxicated and killing himself.
The book then brings the friends together for the funeral and digs backwards in time to find out what really happens.
I liked this book because I can relate to the bonds of friendships growing up, and getting in trouble and doing thing you were not supposed to (but not to this extreme). The book digs into the characters and the motivations behind how they are as adults, and how Go-Go paid the price for a secret that was kept for over 35 years.
I also enjoyed how she fleshed out the parents in the book. As the main characters were children, they saw them as infallible, but as the children became adult you saw how the parents were in the water without a life jacket and that they are as flawed as everyone else.
The title "the Most Dangerous Thing” is wrapped up on the last few pages. You never really know who your friends are...
I would recommend this book

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Most Dangerous Thing.

February 14, 2012 – Started Reading