Norman's Reviews > 'Iron Mask': The story of Harry Bensley's "Walking round the world" hoax

'Iron Mask' by Steve Holland

bookshelves: biography

The whole unearthing of this incident from the early 20th century is one of brilliant detective work on behalf of Steve Holland -whose research skills in tying up characters and authors and their works is next to none! The idea that someone would "walk round the world" pushing a pram and wearing an iron mask (and also other stipulations) is so hard to believe that it's no wonder it actually occurred!
The main person written about here, Harry Bensley, must have been an incredibly charismatic person to have done this deed.
Holland's family trees look complicated until one reads the text and realises there is so much going on in this 68 page book that they are a necessary adjunct to the narrative. Personally, I would love to see the URLs in the bibliography appear on Holland's website and also I'd have appreciated credits as to where the images first appeared just for interest.
I'd recommend this book as a Christmas or birthday present for anyone with any curiosity about people!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Iron Mask'.

Started Reading