Jessica Sinn (Books and Trouble)'s Reviews > My Life Among the Underdogs: A Memoir

My Life Among the Underdogs by Tia Torres

I’m amazed this book came out because Tia Torres—in the living, breathing, flesh—told me that she’s a private person and that a memoir would never happen. I’d love to post a photo of Tia and myself at her speaking event, but sadly my tech neophyte husband had some difficulties with my phone. Needless to say, I’m still a little bit of a salty dog about that. But don’t worry, Tia. One way or another, I will find you! Hmm…that sounded a little creepy, didn’t it?

Either way, I’m SO happy she finally shared her story in this slim volume chronicling all of the special dogs she loved and lost. That said, grab some tissues because every chapter ends with the inevitable conclusion we all fear in dog books. If this wasn’t penned by Miss Torres—my idol, my moral compass, my muse—I would give it a hard pass due to the pain that comes with saying goodbye. But I’m glad I stuck it through because I learned so much about Tia’s journey from wolf rescuer to Hollywood animal trainer to her own Pit Bulls and Parolees rescue/TV show. Wow—what a ride!

The best way to read this book is via audio because Tia narrates the story herself! I’ve always been curious about her family life and had a theory that her parents failed her. This seems to be the case for a lot of us dog rescue diehards—myself included—and sure enough, my theory was correct. She had her ups and downs while growing up in East LA (again, relatable) but yet, somewhere along the way she discovered her higher purpose. That, right there, is one of life’s little miracles. Find the full review on my blog: www.booksandtrouble.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life Among the Underdogs.

Finished Reading