kartik narayanan's Reviews > One Word Kill

One Word Kill by Mark  Lawrence

liked it

One Word Kill is a disappointingly average science fiction book whose saving grace is that it is authored by Mark Lawrence. So it will sell.

The blurb gives away most of the story (the little that there is) except for a couple of twists that is foreshadowed a long way off. I suppose that if your exposure to classic science fiction is limited (i.e. one has not read 'By His Bootstraps', 'The Weapon Shops' or any other seminal time travel story.) then you might not expect these twists but for seasoned science fiction readers this is basically run of the mill. Hell, even the Terminator series offers more surprises.

The problem is not that you can see these twists coming a long way off, but rather that this is all that the story seems to offer. Well, this and pop-culture references which are now an over-used device in books.

A minor nitpick I have is with the title of the story. I would guess most of the people reading this book would have had kind of exposure to D&D or if not, the context is given in the book. Why not just call it Power Word Kill? I remember reading somewhere that the publishers put pressure on Mark Lawrence to change it to One Word Kill but this feels like a compromise, much like the rest of the story.

So what else is there in the book? Nothing much else. I didn't feel much while reading the story and that is the problem right there. I was aware that I was reading a book. This is not the feeling I had when reading the Prince of Thorns or The Liar's Key where those books sucked me in. This one felt so bland. Where are the complex characters? Where is the excellent writing?

Oh Well! I suppose my opinion is a going to be an unpopular one but it is what it is.

Read One Word Kill if you have nothing else to do. I would not go out of the way to read it or its sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Word Kill.

April 6, 2019 – Started Reading
April 6, 2019 – Shelved
April 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson Power Word Stun would make a much funnier book. Stun massive amounts of people, then tie their shoelaces together, give them wedgies, and disappear before they come to and realize what's happened. New book idea!