erica's Reviews > I Miss You When I Blink: Essays

I Miss You When I Blink by Mary Laura Philpott

liked it
bookshelves: memoir, nonfictions

This was fine. I really enjoy memoirs as a genre, and I appreciate memoir/essay collections like this one as easy-to-read, relaxing books. I Miss You When I Blink is a pretty standard book from the memoir genre - the writing is good (if not particularly insightful or witty) and the essays are enjoyable enough (although some are better than others) - but there's nothing particularly special or compelling about this book to meaningfully differentiate it from others. A few passages here and there stood out to me, but for the most part Philpott's essays are shallow and uninspiring. She doesn't push back as a writer; her thoughts about motherhood, etc., are nothing we haven't encountered in a million other books. Philpott stays safely on the surface. Still, if you read memoirs like this one for enjoyment, you might appreciate it. I don't think I'll remember anything about this book one year from now, but I enjoyed the reading experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Miss You When I Blink.

April 5, 2019 – Shelved