NMmomof4's Reviews > Eleanor & Grey

Eleanor & Grey by Brittainy C. Cherry

3.75 Stars

Overall Opinion: Right off the bat I have to say that Ms. Cherry always taps into my emotions, and she definitely did that with this book! I know to expect to shed at least a few tears when I pick her books up, and this didn't disappoint! I f-loved their past relationship. I f-loved Grey in the past. I, however, struggled some with the Grey of the present. I also struggled a lot with the fact that we don't hardly get any time with them as a couple in the present! It was mostly time-jumped and glossed over. Why?! We get so much angst of the stuff they are going through, in both past and present, but why not some more of the good stuff to balance it all out in the end? This was my biggest gripe about the book, because I did enjoy a lot of the other parts. I don't feel like I can quite justify a 4 star rating after writing out my issues, but it was darn close...

Brief Summary of the Storyline: This is Eleanor and Grey's story. They meet when they're seniors in high school and Eleanor is forced to go to a party by her parents. Grey is the popular guy who nobody understands is really hurting and lonely inside, and Eleanor is an introvert that isn't interested in anything but getting through her mom suffering from cancer. They form a quick bond of finding everyday reasons to smile regardless of their situations. Circumstances create distance between the two and they are separated for something like 16 years. They're reunited when Eleanor is shockingly hired on as Grey's new nanny for his two daughters. Grey is not the boy that Eleanor remembers, but she soon realizes that it's now her turn to support him through some hard times. There are some sad scenes, a few funny moments, and a few sexy times...and they get a HFN ending.

POV: This alternated between Eleanor and Grey's POV.

Overall Pace of Story: Good. This has two parts -- the past and the present. I thought it flowed well (except for the ending) and I never skimmed.

Instalove: No, but strong feelings do return quickly when reunited because they had cared deeply for each other in the past.

H rating: 3.5 stars. Grey. I liked him, but he was a little hard to take when they are first reunited. I understand that he was in pain, but it was a little bit too hard for me to get over.

h rating: 4.5 stars. Eleanor. I really liked her. She was sweet, loyal, and unconditional in her love.

Sadness level: Moderate/high. I cried a good bit. This hit close to home (view spoiler), and that might have impacted my reaction to this where other readers might not have the same reaction.

Push/Pull: Yes (view spoiler)

Heat level: Good/low. They have some tension, chemistry, and scenes -- but not very many and not so much it takes away from the story.

Descriptive sex: Yes

OW/OM drama: Yes (view spoiler)

Sex scene with OW or OM: No

Cheating: No

Separation: Yes (view spoiler)

Possible Triggers: Yes (view spoiler)

Closure: This is my biggest issue with the book! Why not some more closure?! I feel like I had a lot of unanswered questions left in the end and I felt like there wasn't nearly enough time with them as a couple after the conflict was resolved! I'm classifying this as a HFN ending, but I'm sure other people will be fine in calling this a HEA (view spoiler).

Safety: This one is probably Safe with exception for most safety gang readers depending on personal preferences.
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Grey.

April 5, 2019 – Shelved
April 5, 2019 – Shelved as: maybe
April 7, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle-unlimited
April 8, 2019 – Started Reading
April 8, 2019 –
28.0% "😩😭 Dang Ms. Cherry! She gets me every time!! 😩😭"
April 8, 2019 –
77.0% "“So no matter what happened, I knew everything would be okay.
Because a mother’s love is enough to surpass time and space.
A mother’s love never vanishes. A mother’s love can always heal her daughter’s heart with simple kisses in the wind.”
Dying 😫"
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: taboo
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: tears
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: workplace
April 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS So glad this almost got a four star rating, Jenny! Terrific review and hope to read this soon ;) 🌷💜🌷

message 2: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review!😉💖

NMmomof4 KAS wrote: "So glad this almost got a four star rating, Jenny! Terrific review and hope to read this soon ;) 🌷💜🌷"

Hope you enjoy it! ...and you might need some tissues 😘

NMmomof4 Kat wrote: "Excellent review!😉💖"

Thanks Kat 💛

Lenie Ann Very detailed review!
Just finished the book and actually my struggle is on the first chapters of Part 2. When after 16 years they saw each other and Grey already a widower.
I was like waiting for a flashback on the why/ how he easily moved on with his late wife and make a family after 2 years of separation from Eleanor.
I felt betrayed that they were not able to keep tabs with each other given that they email each other once in a while. I know they kind of fell apart but getting married and having a child seems like something I want my best friend to know.

Overall though I liked all aspects of the book. I just want more from the couple I think though I can see the book is not really just about them.
😊

NMmomof4 Lenie wrote: "Very detailed review!
I was like waiting fo..."

Thanks!

I hear ya on the reason for the separation. I often get frustrated with these sort of second chance stories because of a vague or not fully explained reason. I too would've appreciated a little more understanding of why they never made any more attempts in reconciliation.

Lenie Ann Same here.🙂
That's why I think I usually I stay away with 2nd chance romance as well due to this but overall I'm good with the story.
Thanks again! 😊🤙🌺

message 8: by *P (new) - rated it 3 stars

*P You guys are on the same wavelength as me. The timeline and the gloss over of details was so hard for me. I love Cherry's writing and I really loved this book. Ellie and the kids made it for me. I too just wished we saw Ellie truly get her HEA with marriage and a baby.

NMmomof4 *P wrote: "You guys are on the same wavelength as me. The timeline and the gloss over of details was so hard for me. I love Cherry's writing and I really loved this book. Ellie and the kids made it for me. I ..."

Yes! I'm always glad to share wavelengths 😘

bookspaced wow. great review, even tho i do not agree with everything. It is still a very good review. Thank you :-)

NMmomof4 bookspaced wrote: "wow. great review, even tho i do not agree with everything. It is still a very good review. Thank you :-)"

Thanks 🤗