Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Broken Girls

The Broken Girls by Simone St. James

bookshelves: listened-to-audiobook

The Broken Girls was one of the first books I received from my Book of the Month subscription. And I finally just got around to reading it (make that, listening... because I actually ended up renting the audiobook from the library despite having the book in print).

So many people have adored this book, raved about it on social media, and recommended it as a fantastic mystery/thriller. So I was very excited to dive in and see what all the fuss was about.

And while I really enjoyed it, I did feel like it didn't fully meet my very high expectations.

There are multiple stories going on here, some in the present and some in the past. In the past, a girl goes missing at a remote boarding school for troubled girls called Idlewild Hall. And there are rumors of a ghost haunting the grounds. In the present, a journalist is hung up on the death of her sister, her body found on the desolate, abandoned grounds of Idlewild Hall.

There are several different mysteries and a lot of separate story lines to sort through. And I was all in for the first 75% of the book. Like completely engrossed and couldn't put it down. But unfortunately, I felt like the ending was a tad disjointed and all of the stories didn't connect for me. I was waiting for some earth shattering moment in the end that answered all the questions, or some magnificent twist that knocked me off my socks. And it just didn't happen. The ending was fine, and I didn't dislike the book by any stretch of the imagination. It just didn't blow me away.

I think I would have preferred to read the book in print rather than listening. It may have been less confusing given the changing timelines that have a heavy presence in the book.

I think many people would thoroughly enjoy this one. Actually, I know they would because the reviews on Goodreads are stellar. So don't let me review deter you. Read it for yourself. And if you want to wait a while to pick it up, it would make the perfect Halloween read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Girls.

April 4, 2019 – Started Reading