Anna's Reviews > Alanna: The First Adventure

4552039
Feb 14, 2012

bookshelves: tortall-series
Read from February 14 to 24, 2012

Alanna always dreamed about becoming a knight, but her father sents her for the convent, so she disguises herself as a boy and comes to to the castle of King Roald to begin her training as a page. This book mainly tells us about her life in the castle as she struggles to cope with all the troubles - classes, harsh trainings, bullies. I like how Tamora Pierce pictured the everyday life, and characters created are vivid and lively.
However, it seems to me that the final battle was too easy to win, considering it's two young magic-possessed people against ten extremly powerful god-like creatures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alanna.

Quotes Anna Liked

Tamora Pierce
“I truly love our Code of Chivalry. We are taught that noblemen must take everything and say nothing. Noblemen must stand alone. Well, we're men, and men aren't born to stand alone.
-Myles of Olau”

Tamora Pierce
“Alan, you seem to think we won't like you unless you do things just like everyone else. Have you ever thought we might like you because you're different?”

Tamora Pierce
“Excuse me," she said politely. "But you can't have him. Not yet. He's going to come back with me.”

Tamora Pierce
“Why does this mean so much to you, Jon?"
The Prince turned. "Because he's my friend. Because I always know where he stands, and where I stand with him. Because I think he'd die for me and--and I think I'd die for him. Is that enough?”

02/15/2012 page 25