Lacer's Reviews > Black Widow

Black Widow by Christopher Brookmyre

U 50x66

it was ok

Sigh, this was okay I suppose, I should say that I’m a massive fan of the original Parlabane books and this just isn’t the same. There’s a note from the author at the end of this one, explaining the difference between the originals and the restarted series and although I did quite like the first of the restarted series, Dead Girl Walking, I didn’t like this one. Like Dead Girl Walking and as the notes at the back of the book say, Black Widow is character driven, the thing is, I was rooting for the characters in Dead Girl Walking, in Black Widow I was just wishing that they’d hurry up and murder each other. Ninety percent of the time they were behaving fairly believably (there were a few, key bits, where I was like “really????”), they just weren’t (most of the time) that interesting. Also Jack Parlabane is barely in it, it’s like Brookmyre had thought of a plot for a stand-alone book but felt like he had to write a Parlablane book, so squeezed him in. Anyway, I haven’t said what it’s about, a relatively recently married man has an accident where his car ends up in a river, his body missing. His wife, a surgeon, is suspiciously not grieving enough. The bereaved sister gets Jack in to have a look. A very large chunk of the book, at the beginning, looks at how husband and wife got together and it was this bit that just set the tone for the whole book being a bit of a drag, although the ending did pick up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Widow.

April 4, 2019 – Started Reading