Nancy's Reviews > Becoming

Becoming by Michelle Obama

bookshelves: audio, non-fiction

Michelle Obama's book Becoming was a beautiful tribute to her family, community and politics. I listened to it on audio and hearing her voice elevated the story as her intelligence and compassion shown through the entire narrative.

In her opening section, Becoming Me, Michelle shares her upbringing in Chicago. Blessed with two loving and supportive parents plus a caring older brother, she grows into a smart and confident child. She doesn't take anything for granted and works hard to achieve her goals. Practical and steady she eventually attends Princeton and later Harvard, and becomes self-assured with the help of friends and her extended family. The second section, Becoming Us, details her courtship and eventual marriage to Barack Obama. Her rock solid marriage to Barack is shown in loving detail, while she doesn't shy away from their struggles with fertility and different ways of living life due to their very disparate upbringings. The third and final section, Becoming More, moves the Obama's into public life and politics. She honestly shares how she was hesitant about Barack entering politics and the struggles that this schedule played on their young family. But they remained committed as they both saw the big picture and had the best interests of those they served in their hearts. Finding out about the behind the scenes struggles with campaigning and eventual White House life was fascinating and illuminating in regards to how hard both Obama's worked to benefit our country.

While I enjoyed learning about Michelle and her family's life, her story also pushed me to think about mine. The quote “I’d been lucky to have parents, teachers, and mentors who’d fed me with a consistent, simple message: You matter. As an adult, I wanted to pass those words to a new generation” made me think on how I raise my three children, especially my daughter. I worry about outward appearances too much, and I hope that me feeling my family has to act and look a certain way hasn't affected my children's confidence about their abilities. I hope this reflection on my part will help me parent better in the future.

I also couldn't help but compare the Obama's presidency to the Trump presidency. Michelle is typically positive yet honest about many people and situations in her life, and while she does share some pointed negative sentiments about Donald Trump, she does not linger on it. The Obama's class stands in stark contrast to the Trump family's crass and self serving behavior. I miss this family as an example to our country, and I recommend this book highly to everyone!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming.

April 4, 2019 – Started Reading