Olivia-Savannah Roach's Reviews > Big Bones

Big Bones by Laura Dockrill

liked it

I haven’t felt so torn after reading a book as I did when I finished reading Big Bones by Laura Dockrill. There were a lot of things I liked, and some not so much, and some I felt mixed on. I’m going to try and explain my thoughts best I can in this review.

Firstly, don’t let the beginning put you off reading the rest of the story! Although the first half of the book was told in a writing style that seemed a little overdone and hard for me to appreciate, once I got further into the story things evened out. I am glad I kept reading because then we are given a story which deals with some very important themes and topics, and really ended in a heart-warming way. So when you get it, make sure to keep reading!

The doctor sets a task for Bluebell, which is to keep a food diary. So, this book is actually her food diary, although it reads more like a story than a food diary… But at the same time, I liked that it was supposed to be a food diary because every now and again we got some really lovely descriptions of yummy food! The main character unapologetically loves food and eating. She loves cooking too and I got so hungry reading this book time and time again. Definitely advise having a snack on hand while reading.

I thought that this book had a very important message about loving your body in a healthy way. You don’t need to be very defensive of your body when you start to realise you truly love it just the way it is. You’re allowed to be strong and fit without aiming for losing weight. You can totally own your weight and love yourself without needing to change your appearance. I was so here for those positive and important messages!

But at the same time, there was something that unsettled me… a character in this one needs some temporary wheelchair usage. Which I can understand is very frustrating for said character and if it was them complaining about it, I would sympathise more and allow for it. When you go from full mobility to limited mobility it is tricky. But Bluebell who isn’t the injured character, acts like it is almost the end of the world that this happens! Which I very much didn’t appreciate as a) the other person should be the one acting like that and b) It actually isn’t the end of the world. There are a lot of people permanently using wheelchairs and take it from my younger sister: she’s still living the best life.

Another thing I really loved about this book were the complex family dynamics! I don’t want to explain the situation as I would love for you to read about it yourselves. But there is a complex family situation and I loved that family was integrated into the book and made to be such an important part of it. When Bluebell is going through hard times or wants advice she turns to her family, even when it is quite topsy-turvy. I am completely the same and appreciated seeing that happening in a novel as well!

One more thing that troubled me was the double standard I saw. While I loved that Bluebell owned her weight and didn’t like when people saw her and treated her differently or applied stereotypes to her based on her appearance and weight, she sort of did the same to other people. There was an instance involving someone at the gym where she judged them due to the place they worked and them being thin. I just thought that double standard was a bit unfair.

Regardless, by the end of the book, I was satisfied. Closing the book felt like a warm hug – that was how heart warming the ending was. And I liked seeing how Bluebell as a character had grown and developed so much over the course of the novel. I was so happy!

This review and others can be found on Olivia's Catastrophe: https://oliviascatastrophe.com/2019/0...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Bones.

Started Reading