Nicola Marsh's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Feb 14, 2012

bookshelves: ya, read-in-2012

This YA fantasy sucked me in completely.

The seraphim and chimaera (a strange hybrid of animal/humans) are at war and have been for centuries.

Karou and Akiva's romance is addictive.

And the cliffhanger ending? Guaranteed to have me reading the sequel.

Enjoyable.

February 14, 2012 – Started Reading
February 14, 2012 – Shelved
February 18, 2012 – Finished Reading
February 23, 2012 – Shelved as: ya
February 23, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012

Michelle Scott I bought this for my 13 yo for Christmas after hearing how good it was, but she couldn't get into it. Guess it's my turn now, lol.

message 2: by Nicola (new) - added it

Nicola Marsh Think it may be a bit hard-going for a 13 yo? I had trouble keeping track of the fantasy elements at times!
Will be interested to see what you think!

Katy Hmmm. Well, I guess it depends upon her interests. I think I would have enjoyed this when I was 13, but then again I was reading Tolkien and McCaffrey and the like at the time, as well as Susan Cooper, Lloyd Alexander and Alexander Key.

message 4: by Nicola (new) - added it

Nicola Marsh True, Katy, it depends on her reading level.

Michelle Scott My daughter has only recently started to read books. She loved the Hunger Games trilogy, and she also enjoyed Cassandra Claire's City of Bone, so I figured she might like this one, too. But I guess not. It's fine, though, since I'd had my eye on this title for a while, lol. The book certainly won't go to waste!

message 6: by Nicola (new) - added it

Nicola Marsh I loved Hunger Games trilogy and City of Bones!

This book has a very different feel to those, it's much more straight fantasy.

Just means you get to read it faster :)

Michelle Scott Lol. So true. Luckily, my 16 yo daughter is too busy with high school to snag it first ; )

message 8: by Nicola (new) - added it

Nicola Marsh I'm hoping my boys will snag my YA books when they're old enough!