Meredith's Reviews > Final Betrayal

Final Betrayal by Patricia Gibney

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

Final Betrayal is a solid, but not great, addition to the DI Lottie Parker series.

Young women are being killed in pairs in the small town of Ragmullin, Ireland. Lottie Parker and team are on the case. At the same time, Lottie’s newly discovered crazy half-sister has escaped from custody and is out for revenge against Lottie’s family.

What I struggled with : The murder mystery didn’t grip me. In fact, I found it boring. I didn’t pick up on the identity of the killer until I was more than halfway through, so it was nice to put my book detective skills to work. At the same time, I just didn’t care enough to become invested in this storyline and when the reason was revealed about why the murderer was killing these girls, I was in utter disbelief, as it was for a pretty dumb reason. Gibney usually writes her mysteries with more tension and depth.

Another issue I had was there were way too many POVs; In addition to Lottie, Kirby, Katie, and Rose, there are at least 3 more, including the voice of the killer. I was able to keep track of everyone as their voices are distinguished, but I found some of their voices to be superfluous. In the end, I understood why all of the POV’s were included, but it was frustrating reading all of the POV’s. I feel like this story could have been told in a different way.

What worked : Finally, Lottie’s character showed some growth! She has calmed down a bit and is taking baby steps in her relationship with Mark Boyd. She even finds herself being happy, well, until all the murder and mayhem begins! Lottie, her family, and team of detectives are the reason to read this series. I am invested in their lives and rooting for them! I wanted to hug poor Kirby, who is still recovering from the events of the last book.

Even though I didn’t love Final Betrayal, I would still recommend this series for its compelling and lovable characters!

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Bookoutre in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Final Betrayal.

April 3, 2019 – Started Reading
April 3, 2019 – Shelved
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
April 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Great review Meredith, very fair and honest 🤗💕

message 2: by Mary (last edited Apr 05, 2019 12:08PM) (new)

Mary S. R. So sad the murder mystery didn't grip you :( great review 👌🏻

message 3: by Beata (new)

Beata Great review, Meredith :)) You're right, too many POVs may be misleading, especially in a mystery ......

message 4: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic and very honest review Meredith! 😊

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Good review, Meredith

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard An excellent and even handed review Meredith .......

message 7: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry you didn’t enjoy this installment of the series more, Meredith :( Fabulous review, as always!! 🌸🌼🌸

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie Fair and honest review, Meredith! Hope your next book is awesome!! 💕

Meredith Maureen wrote: "Great review Meredith, very fair and honest 🤗💕"

Thank you so much, Maureen!

Meredith Mary wrote: "So sad the murder mystery didn't grip you :( great review 👌🏻"

Thank you, Mary!

Meredith Nicola wrote: "Fantastic and very honest review Meredith! 😊"

Thank you so much, Nicola!

Meredith Beata wrote: "Great review, Meredith :)) You're right, too many POVs may be misleading, especially in a mystery ......"

Yes! Thank you, Beata!

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Meredith! :-)

message 14: by JV (semi-hiatus) (new)

JV (semi-hiatus) Wonderfully said, dear Meredith! Fantastic review 🤗

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I hope the next installment works out better! Wonderful review, Meredith!

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Terrific critique, Meredith!

message 17: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford Great review Meredith !!

message 18: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Wonderful review Meredith! Sorry this wasn’t a better read!

Meredith Diane wrote: "Good review, Meredith"

Thank you, Diane!

Meredith Richard wrote: "An excellent and even handed review Meredith ......."

Thank you, Richard!

Meredith KAS wrote: "Sorry you didn’t enjoy this installment of the series more, Meredith :( Fabulous review, as always!! 🌸🌼🌸"

Thank you, KAS!

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa wonderful review Meredith sorry it was a bit of a miss hope the next in the series is better. XO :)

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fab review, Meredith! I still have to read Tell Nobody. This one seems to be the weakest book in the series so far. If you thought it was boring, I am sure I will too. Hope your next one is fantastic.

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen Love a good series! Nice review, Meredith

message 25: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Great review Meredith, this sounds like an interesting series! :)

message 26: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Great review Meredith! Love how you dissected the pros and cons of this one!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Excellent review, Meredith 😊💕🌸

message 28: by Marina (new)

Marina Nicely balanced review.

Meredith Julie wrote: "Fair and honest review, Meredith! Hope your next book is awesome!! 💕"

Thank you, Julie!

Meredith Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith! :-)"

Thank you, Norma!

Meredith JV ❄️☃️❄️ wrote: "Wonderfully said, dear Meredith! Fantastic review 🤗"

Thank you so much, JV!

Meredith Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "I hope the next installment works out better! Wonderful review, Meredith!"

Thank you, Jennifer! I hope so too!

Meredith Paula wrote: "Terrific critique, Meredith!"

Thank you, Paula!

message 34: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Wonderful review, Meredith, and I totally 'get' what you are saying here! I have so many series lined up to read (the earlier ones of this series included), but - will I get there? Heaven only knows! 😉

message 35: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Great thoughtful review, Meredith 💖

message 36: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Wonderful review, Meredith!

message 37: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Terrific review, Meredith!

Meredith Lucy wrote: "Great review Meredith !!"

Thank you, Lucy!

Meredith Kendall wrote: "Wonderful review Meredith! Sorry this wasn’t a better read!"

Thank you, Kendall!

Meredith Lisa wrote: "wonderful review Meredith sorry it was a bit of a miss hope the next in the series is better. XO :)"

Thank you, Lisa! I hope so too!

Meredith Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fab review, Meredith! I still have to read Tell Nobody. This one seems to be the weakest book in the series so far. If you thought it was boring, I am sure I will too. Hope your nex..."

Thank you, Mary Beth! The series has been pretty consistent so far. I was expecting this to fit with the others but I guess one not so great installment out of six isn't too bad!

Meredith Jen wrote: "Love a good series! Nice review, Meredith"

Thank you, Jen!

Meredith Marina wrote: "Nicely balanced review."

Thank you so much, Marina!

Meredith Jaline wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith, and I totally 'get' what you are saying here! I have so many series lined up to read (the earlier ones of this series included), but - will I get there? Heaven only know..."

Lol, Jaline! I know the feeling!

Meredith Felicia wrote: "Great thoughtful review, Meredith 💖"

Thank you so much, Felicia!

Meredith Supratim wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith!"

Thank you, Supratim!

Meredith Cheri wrote: "Terrific review, Meredith!"

Thank you, Cheri!

message 48: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I really like the way you presented and formatted this, Meredith. Excellent review!

Meredith Victoria wrote: "I really like the way you presented and formatted this, Meredith. Excellent review!"

Thank you so much, Victoria!