Jo Ladzinski's Reviews > A Beginning at the End

A Beginning at the End by Mike Chen

32067918

bookshelves: friends

Read an ARC provided to me by the author

I feel like there's a microtrend of post-apocalyptic or dystopian novels where our main characters aren't the ones in charge of solving the problem. Rather, they're the ones trying to preserve some small piece of normality amid a world gone to shit and that is what we get with A Beginning at the End. A virus has killed most of everyone and all Rob wants to do is be with his daughter, Sunny. Almost everyone suffers from some kind of post-apocalyptic stress disorder (PASD), including a former pop star and a wedding planner running towards better.

I loved all four of the POVs in this one. It was really easy to keep track of who was speaking, but more importantly, keeping track of which time period we were in was also easy. Again, the apocalypse isn't the story here. Most of it is about the adjustment period, the reminiscence on the world before, and how the family we keep and the family we make can be both important in different measure. I also enjoyed the sense of urgency as different antagonists to each POV. Rob's hiding a secret, Sunny has something special planned for her parents, Moira wants everyone to forget MoJo, and Krista searches for some sense of stability. In each scenario, there's a bit of gray to why the characters are the way they are, and it works so well.

If you're looking for a science fiction that's more about the feelings of the people who remained than how the world got there, definitely pick this one up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beginning at the End.

April 3, 2019 – Shelved