megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Escape Room

The Escape Room by Megan Goldin

bookshelves: 2019-releases, arcs-to-read, thriller-mystery-to-read

Being summoned to participate in a 'team building exercise' on a Friday night is the last thing Vincent, Jules, Sylvie or Sam want.

Unfortunately, participation is mandatory so they all dutifully arrive at the requested location, a remote office building in a shady part of town.

Greeting in the lobby, they enter the elevator together for the ride up to one of the top floors.

The express elevator ascends quickly and then abruptly stops. The lights go out and the heat cranks up. Suddenly, the team comes to the realization that this it. This is their challenge.

An Escape Room where the competitive coworkers must put petty rivalries aside and work together in order to solve the cryptic clues needed for them to be released.

As dark secrets of the team are revealed, viciously pitting them against one another, they find themselves removed from their normal boardroom backstabbing and thrust into a definitive game of survival.

Megan Goldin's thrilling debut, set in the world of high stakes Wall Street finance is incredibly ruthless, and that's sort of my brand. I absolutely flew through this story. I could not put it down!

Following dual perspectives between our cast of characters in the elevator and flashbacks to a mysterious former team member, Sara Hall, the plotting of this is absolutely brilliant. It kept me engaged and guessing the entire way.

At its heart, a complex revenge thriller, this stoked my Slytherin heart, as I stan a character with the dedication to strategize a long game. If you don't know what I mean by this, pick up this book. This is the epitome of a painstakingly planned 'long game'.

I had so much fun reading this and it is now definitely one of my favorite books of the year. I recommend it to anyone who likes a solid, unique thriller.

If this is what Goldin puts out for her debut, I cannot wait to what she comes up with next. You know I will be buying it and devouring it as soon as its released!

Thank you so much to the publisher, St. Martin's Press, for providing me with a copy to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity and of course, love discovering ambitious new authors to obsess over.

This one is out now, my friends, be sure to pick up your copy and see if you can solve The Escape Room!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Escape Room.

April 3, 2019 – Shelved
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-releases
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-to-read
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: thriller-mystery-to-read
July 28, 2019 – Started Reading
July 28, 2019 –
2.0% "OMG! The Prologue is pretty much exactly how I like my horror movies to start. This could be real good for me!"
August 2, 2019 –
25.0% "This is so good!
Love the format!"
August 3, 2019 –
41.0% "...and this is why I don't do 'team building exercises'...

"
68.0% "Corporate Conspiracy.
Betrayal.
Murder.
Cover-Up.

You're hitting all my buzzwords, Goldin!"
75.0% "Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
😳😳😳😳😳😳
I cannot even handle how good this is!"
August 4, 2019 –
86.0% "I feel like Sara would be a really strong candidate to apartment sit at the Bartholomew...

🤔😁😂😳

Too soon?"
August 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Felicia I loved this one

megs_bookrack Felicia wrote: "I loved this one" Did you!? That's awesome. I am happy to hear that!

Tucker I cannot recommend this enough.

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "I cannot recommend this enough.
"

Nice!!! This makes me so happy!

Dita Fun!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Fun!" This boooooooook! And I finally started The Chain this morning. My head is going to explode with all the Thrillery goodness!

Dita megs_bookrack wrote: "Dita wrote: "Fun!" This boooooooook! And I finally started The Chain this morning. My head is going to explode with all the Thrillery goodness!"

That one is intense!

megs_bookrack Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review, Megs!" Thank you so much, Brenda! xo

message 10: by Brandice (new) - added it

Brandice Great review, Meg! I need to read this one! 🙂

megs_bookrack Brandice wrote: "Great review, Meg! I need to read this one! 🙂"Thank you, Brandice! Yes!!! You definitely should! xo

BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas) I need to read this one! Glad you enjoyed it. Fab review.

message 13: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Terrific review Megs! :)

megs_bookrack BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas) wrote: "I need to read this one! Glad you enjoyed it. Fab review." It was fun! Super quick. Would be great for a weekend away or in -- I hope you enjoy it and thank you for your comment!

megs_bookrack Aisling Zena wrote: "Terrific review Megs! :)" You're so kind. Thank you! xo