Chris Norbury's Reviews > The Charm School

The Charm School by Nelson DeMille

bookshelves: top-10-plus-thriller-suspense-reads

This is the kind of book that you can immerse yourself in for days at a time because the author made the setting, concept, and characters so intriguing. It's a long novel (630 p. in paperback) that is such a great page-turner that you only get annoyed that you're nearing the end.

As a baby boomer, I have an affinity for Cold War novels because as I came of age, the prospects of nuclear war and/or WW III with the Soviet Union were real, clear and present dangers. If you're interested in some recent history of Soviet Russia or Russian history over the past 100 years, this book feels like a primer on how Russia evolved into what it is today.

DeMille is one of my favorite authors. This is one of his best efforts. His dialogue has never been sharper. The plot is unique and inspired. Even though the characters are the traditional US diplomat/defense/military operatives (spies, diplomats, State Department folks), they are fleshed out and real. The subplots (romantic triangle, animosity/rivalry between Alevy and Hollis, religion vs. atheism) are viable and add to the main plot rather than jerk you out of it.

This will go on my shortlist of best books I read in 2020. Makes a great escape from the trials and tribulations we're all going through during the pandemic.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Charm School.

April 3, 2019 – Shelved