Nina Silva's Reviews > Something Borrowed, Something Mewed

Something Borrowed, Something Mewed by Bethany Blake

bookshelves: cozy-mystery

I think this is one of the cutest cozy mystery series out at the moment. When the relationship between a pedantic Basset Hound and a reforming snooty, pampered Poodle can be a focal point, you know it’s something different.

While the pooches and the kitty cats and the pet pig and even the pet rat (yeah, don’t ask) make star appearances, they enhance the storyline rather than detract from it. Socrates, Daphne’s Basset hound, makes an excellent sounding board for her theorizing. It’s not overdone and it works.

In terms of the murder mystery, it’s a tough one. There are numerous suspects who have very valid reasons for wanting Abigail Sinclair dead. Opportunities for the murder and access to potential murder weapons are also plentiful. Each suspect has well-explained backstories which adds to the complexity of the mystery. The pacing is good with no major lulls in the forward momentum of the tale. But perhaps we could do with a touch less ‘forced’ suspense at the end of each chapter.

The big reveal is a mixed bag with some expectations met and one curveball. But the tension is just right and Daphne and Socrates work together to rescue themselves.

The Daphne and Jonathan scenes were fun and romantic to read. They were the icing on this cute mystery tale. I’m definitely sticking with this series! Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed this book courtesy of NetGalley and Kensington Books. All opinions expressed are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed, Something Mewed.

April 2, 2019 – Started Reading