Elena (Gone Bookserk)'s Reviews > The Miserable Mill

Feb 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: children-s
Read from February 24 to 26, 2012

The journey, or probably better said, the misfortune with these young children continues. In series 1-3 there was Count Olaf, Uncle Monty, and Aunt Josephine. It all started with Count Olaf, it has continued with Count Olaf and Count Olaf will continue to be the perpetrator for the disasters the Baudelaire children have to go through.

The Miserable Mill is funny in some ways, and all the credit goes to Sunny (the infant child). She has these funny noise projections that made me laugh out loud, seriously. Sayings like 'suski,' 'nojeemo,' and 'fiti.'

This book also carries some good themes, that if I were to read to my children I'd be happy to encourage ponderings of them. Who is an optimist? How do optimists behave? Is it necessarily good to be an optimist to the point that you can't be a realist? The themes of how useful books are and how to be careful of disguises still continues in this book. Child labor? Now there's a topic. Self-esteem is talked about a little bit, too. What does it mean to have low-esteem? How does low self-esteem impact what you do? And how do you recognize self-esteem? Oh, I loved the idea that we should follow our instincts, and we should always give children a chance to be heard and listened to, they are most of the time telling it like IT truly IS. Boy, hypnosis was a consistent theme through this book.

I can't wait to go to the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miserable Mill.

Quotes Elena (Gone Bookserk) Liked

Lemony Snicket
“Never mind what my name is,” the man said. “No one can pronounce it anyway. Just call me Sir.”
Lemony Snicket, The Miserable Mill