Emily Mellow's Reviews > The Practical Homestead: The Backyard Handbook for Growing Food, Raising Animals, and Nurturing Your Land

The Practical Homestead by Paul Heiney

Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: gardening, bees
Read from February 27 to March 05, 2012

Despite providing an overview of such vast topics as animal husbandry, blacksmithing, and growing and storing foods, which is tricky to do in a useful way, I did learn some interesting things from this book, and it's a great jumping off point for areas of farming that I haven't been exposed to. The photographs and drawings are beautiful and helpful. It's divided into sections based on lot size and it's helpful to see what you could be doing, and how much land is needed for different animals... although dwarf goat breeds aren't mentioned!
We're making fencing for our raspberries out of hazel trunks, and harvested them the way the book recommends, so more wood posts will always grow there for years to come (we harvested from our friend's land, we don't have hazel on our small lot.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Practical Homestead.