Lynnae Andersen's Reviews > The Wild Card: 7 Steps to an Educator's Creative Breakthrough

The Wild Card by Wade King

I received this book as part of a district Twitter chat. As a new teacher in this district and still a green teacher only in my 5th year, I was excited to participate and converse with other teachers about our craft.

Initially, when I read the prompt, I was disappointed. Creativity is my THING. I love taking an old or boring lesson, flipping it on it's head and doing something fun: especially for my middle and high school students (elementary shouldn't be the only ones having fun). Needless to say, I didn't start off with a good attitude. In fact, rather arrogantly I thought, "what am I going to learn from this?"

Then I read the introductory chapters and, well, God smacked me. I changed the inflection of my question from negative to positive. Will reading this book result in an overhaul of my teaching methods? Probably not. Do I still have things to learn? Absolutely.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Card.

April 2, 2019 – Started Reading
page 22
page 27
page 40
page 50
21.83% ""Trying to measure up to [social media teachers] is not a good WHY. Neither is a quest for recognition."

My WHY has always been focused on helping my students become the adults they are meant to be, but this year I have been distracted by social media teachers and the desire to be recognized by my district and the larger teaching community. That doesn't matter, my students are my focus."
page 61
26.64% ""Pick something that isn't characteristic of your teaching style--a costume, a song, or a game--and then just rip off the proverbial bandage. . . . Get comfortable with discomfort.""
page 71
31.0% ""Pull in your audience so every single child is attentive and engaged, regardless of academic aptitude. Sell them all on the idea that learning is cool and knowledge is power. Sell the magic.""
page 86