K8CanApparate's Reviews > Wilder Girls

Wilder Girls by Rory Power

Rory Power takes the well-known and well-loved boarding school trope and marries it with a survival story and then turns it all on its head. Wilder Girls is a wild ride, indeed. We find ourselves in a hellish world where a mysterious illness named the Tox either kills or deforms all those remaining at the Raxter School for Girls. It’s jam-packed with diversity and luscious, stylistic writing.

I'm pretty confident that we can all agree the cover is absolutely stunning. I wish I had a physical copy to photograph because I know bookstagram would be all about this one.

"Feminist horror" -- for those of you that are fans, I really need not say more. The gore will not disappoint. For those of you that are skeptical still, this certainly has creepy, skin-crawly elements. At times, I had to squeeze my eyes shut because the imagery was so vivid and horrific. I have to give an extra star just for uniqueness alone, as there are few books that I have read in the young adult genre that have similar storylines.

The first few chapters felt bland to me. It wasn't until we first get Byatt's POV that I was gripped. The way that Powers writes for Byatt is nothing short of poetic. I wanted more Byatt and less Hetty. The ending felt rushed and abrupt. An extra 50 pages, maybe more, were really needed to give some necessary backstory and a less hurried ending. That being said, I would be interested in a sequel. Power's writing style is unique, gripping and nothing short of exquisite.

The entire time I was reading, all I could do was compare this to an M. Night Shyamalan movie. It is that type of "wtf just happened". 3.5 stars, rounded up. The rushing at the end coupled with underdeveloped characters had me wanting more. But brava for a first novel.

Power does give us a list of content warnings, which I would advise you read before reading or gifting this to someone else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilder Girls.

April 2, 2019 – Shelved
April 2, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 10, 2019 – Started Reading
April 12, 2019 –
9.0% "A bit of a confusing start but intriguing nonetheless"
April 13, 2019 –
19.0% "Damn, this is about to be a DNF if it doesn’t pick up soon"
April 14, 2019 –
40.0% "Really loved Byatt’s POV"
April 15, 2019 –
60.0% "Ugh if I have nightmares...."
April 15, 2019 –
74.0% "This is a fucking m night shyamalan movie"
April 16, 2019 – Finished Reading