Kelly's Reviews > Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Assassin's Creed by Oliver Bowden

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-fiinish
Recommended for: Nobody.

How do you make Assassin's Creed bad? How do you make Assassin's Creed boring? How do you take a franchise that iconic and make a gamer cringe at the name Ezio Auditore da Firenze?

Ask Oliver Bowden.

Given its apparent accuracy to the game (it's been a long time, and I didn't read too far), it just goes to show that style will make or break a story, and Bowden regrettably has none. From the first over-described fight scene to the telling slog that follows, there is nothing redeeming about this book. 40 pages felt like 400 and I was only too pleased to DNF this after my customary 5 tester chapters.

The top review is spot on about the terrible, cheesy lines--I couldn't have put it better myself, and rolled my eyes at a couple of the same examples. This felt like an edgy teenager roleplaying as Ezio, and I felt no genuine connection to him whatsoever with Bowden keeping me at arm's length and making what we did get to know completely unlikeable. If I hadn't had any experience with the game franchise, this would be my first introduction to Ezio, and that breaks my heart a bit inside.

Then there's the storytelling itself, which feels amateurish and makes me wonder how Bowden won the chance to put such an iconic series to paper. If you like terrible attempts at clever lines, being told every detail step by step rather than experiencing the journey, or feeling no thrill in combat because it's just someone reminiscing a list of things that happened, then this is the book for you. If you want the same world, better versions of characters, and to feel any amount of anything, then I would skip over this series and just get yourself the games on PlayStation or Steam. Love yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Creed.

April 1, 2019 – Started Reading