Madeline's Reviews > A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II

A Woman of No Importance by Sonia Purnell

This book tells the important story of an unrecognized hero of World War II--Virginia Hall, one of the few female spies who helped build the French Resistance and assure the success of the Allied invasion of France. Purnell's stunningly detailed research and writing puts us in the action with Virginia, building up tension, emotion and joy as events unfold. Purnell also includes the perfect amount of historical context, to ensure that the reader isn't left drowning.

While the many code names and people referenced may be confusing, the story remains focused on Virginia, and all that she has done for France, freedom and representation, of both women and those with disabilities. Virginia's story inspired and awed me in every page, and I can only look up to her as a role model. I am so glad Purnell took the time to research Virginia and give her the attention and respect that she deserved. Virginia's story is one of perseverance, determination, and love of freedom, country, and people that should not be forgotten. We still have much to learn and improve upon from her experience. Women—our capabilities, emotions, and drive—should not be overlooked or ignored, and Virginia Hall's story is a shining example of the consequences, both positive and negative, of this.

Thank you to Edelweiss and Penguin for providing me with an advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I'll write a more detailed account later, but this book is an amazingly detailed account of the story of Virginia Hall, a formidable and trailblazing spy during World War II. Great representation of disability as well!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Woman of No Importance.

April 1, 2019 – Started Reading
April 24, 2019 –
April 24, 2019 –
April 25, 2019 –
April 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jean I agree that the names and code names did get a bit overwhelming, but the missions this woman undertook - my word! By page 80 I was worn out from all the activity, and the US hadn’t even gotten involved yet. You touch on some of the important examples set by Virginia Hall. I hope there are some of those women (and men) working on our behalf in our intelligence agencies today.