Shira's Reviews > Black Women Writers at Work

Black Women Writers at Work by Claudia Tate

19806749

bookshelves: writing, intergenerational, racisme, teaching

I was moved with both recognition, and with fear, again, at Audre Lorde's comment that "it's scary because we've been through that before. It was called the fifties. Then I was moved with that stirring to act, upon reading in print what I have known and been told in different words since Dunbar (High School): "My responsibility is to speak the truth... with as much precision and beauty as possible. ... We've been taught that silence would save us, but it won't."
And we must not remain silent while the blood of our sisters/brothers/neighbors/communities/fellow human beings is shed.

Sherley Anne Williams reiterates this responsibility of a writer to write as well as one can and to "say as much of the truth as I can see at any given time."

Although this book is dated, and does not include my favorite author (Octavia Butler), I am so glad that I read this book in spite of my initial misgivings. From Bambara's hope that "We care too much ... to negotiate a bogus peace," to DeVeaux's "responsibility to see," I find my own compulsion to write validated by the responsibility of a writer to render individual expression into a universal expression, and to give voice to the voiceless/unseen/erased. To show the unspoken and to "empathize with the general human condition."

Society needs all perspectives because without those perspectives, we are missing vast parts of what our society actually looks like, which leads to deep problems. Writing, as was pointed out, must transcend individual experience, but it also comes from and is filtered through individual experience, so we desperately need every point of view.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Women Writers at Work.

March 18, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
March 18, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
March 18, 2019 – Shelved as: racisme (Paperback Edition)
March 18, 2019 – Shelved as: writing (Paperback Edition)
March 31, 2019 – Started Reading
March 31, 2019 – Shelved
March 31, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "I guess it was before Octavia Butler became famous?"
March 31, 2019 –
page 7
2.73% "Wow! It takes incredible courage/strength/guts to say in public that you've allowed your pride to manipulate you into doing something because they said you couldn't do it, and to admit that you "want to get beyond that." Incredible maturity and self-confidence, and responsibility, as she pointed out. Of blessed memory."
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: writing