Kira-Richelle's Reviews > Kill the Farm Boy

Kill the Farm Boy by Delilah S. Dawson

it was ok

edit: 2.5* (if only you could give half-star reviews)

I was so excited to read this book, and needless to say, I was let down. It was honestly a struggle to finish, and by the end, I was desperate to be done so that I didn't have to pick it up ever again. Initially, I was enticed by the promise of "Monty Python-esque humor" with a hint of Terry Pratchett. Neither the Pythons nor Pratchett would have been amused with this novel. And part of me thinks that both parties would be incredibly offended to be associated with this material.

The sheer amount of "poop humor" was exhausting (and by the second iteration, not even a little bit funny.) The parody nature of the novel was initially humorous but it was taken too far and all of the humor was beat out of it. Titles like "Glandalf," the "sand witch," "Staph the Pixie," and "Ol' Faktri," seemed endearing but were a pull too hard on the parody nature and ultimately just detracted from the overall story (of which there was very little.)

Though there were certain parts of the book that were funny, those few moments did not make up for all of the rest of the time that it wasn't funny at all. I absolutely giggled at, "the table was most certainly fancy and could almost be considered schmancy," but found myself moaning and groaning at the rest of the tired punny jabs and potty jokes.

For the entirety of the novel I was just desperate to be done with it. It soon started to seem like a novelization of a D&D game gone awfully awry (with mentions to "extra strength points" and "wasn't proficient in abjuration,") but it constantly went too far and became too tiresome in an instant. A traveling party comprised of a talking goat, a muscled woman fighter, a half-bunny-half-girl, a "necromancing-dark-lord," a rogue bad at her job, and a witch certainly sounds like it will be fun, but it isn't. (view spoiler)

Read at your own risk, rest assured your head and eyes and all other parts will be rolling before you've finished the second chapter. There's an epilogue to this story and I could not even bring myself to read that; it's not even worth it to know what happened in the "aftermath" of this literary nightmare.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill the Farm Boy.

March 31, 2019 – Started Reading