Eugenia's Reviews > Splintered - Criminal Delights: Obsession

Splintered - Criminal Delights by Tal Bauer

Who truly is in there?

When all is said and done, I couldn’t put this down.

The beginning felt repetitive, rehashing Ben’s need of home and staying and building a family. Obsessively. Which may have been the point, as we find out later. Tethers play an important role here (love, religion, work, family, place).

Nothing happened much until 21% in the book. I really wasn’t feeling the story. All we got were Ben’s deep-rooted feelings of needing to stay and the mystery of Evan, his partner.

The last 3/4 of the book really ramped up in terms of showing us what Ben was in the dark about, how Evan was changing, and finally bringing outsiders into the mix.

Ben was hard pressed to believe that Evan’s changes were anything other than physical or psychological and it frustrated me that a teacher of medieval history would not have the smallest drop of belief in “otherworldliness.”

What was happening to Evan was obvious to me, to everyone but Ben, a non-believer. Yet what also struck me was the weighty presence of the house they lived in. It was constant, yet never solidly dealt with even at the very end.

I won’t go into specifics as not to spoil this well written book, but it provides interesting discourse into the role of good and evil in a world created by a supernatural being such as God.

There is one rather disturbing scene that takes place in the bathroom. If you’re squeamish of blood or blood play, best skip the gruesome scene—although it had my eyes glued to the screen!!

At the end of this suspenseful story what can you expect? An HFN and questions left lingering in Ben’s mind as to what the nature of his reality truly is. You can also expect that the presence LOVE truly casts away evil.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Splintered - Criminal Delights.

March 31, 2019 – Shelved
March 31, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 11, 2019 – Started Reading
May 12, 2019 –
22.0% "so far, this is ridiculously repetitive.....I hope something changes soon because being inside Ben's head is tedious rather than suspenful"
May 12, 2019 –
37.0% "Ok, this is getting better"
May 12, 2019 – Finished Reading