Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Autumn

Autumn by Ali Smith

bookshelves: contemporary, cover-appreciation, fiction, library, series

2019 seems to have become the year I read strikingly unique works of fiction that take the art of writing to new extremes. From Max Porter’s Lanny to Ocean Vuong’s On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous, Ali Smith’s Autumn is another novel to which I can’t compare anything I have ever read before.

Regardless, I loved it. In fact, I read it in a frenzy of four hours. I couldn’t get enough of Ali Smith’s wondrous, quirky prose in which there is so much to uncover.

Autumn is a multi-layered, subversive novel which paints a beautiful picture of friendship. I was captivated by the bizarre yet heart-warming relationship between young art lecturer, Elisabeth, and elderly, former lyricist, Daniel Gluck. While recounting the lives of these two characters, Smith explores time and its passing; Autumn into Winter, past into the present, young into old. As the seasons change, so do we.

The chapters time hop across the century, yet the story didn’t once feel disjointed. It is brimming with British cultural references which swim amongst charming metaphors, intertwining the real with the fantastic. From the amusing Post Office scenes which illustrate their inefficiency and mind-boggling slowness, to the melancholic musing on the political mayhem in post-Brexit Britain, there is so much to uncover.

Autumn was a beautiful, exploratory novel full of thought-provoking contemporary ideas and features even more beautiful characters. I’m looking forward to reading more of Smith’s musing on art, politics and the nature of life in the rest of her exciting seasonal quartet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autumn.

March 31, 2019 – Shelved
June 23, 2019 – Shelved as: cover-appreciation
June 23, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
June 23, 2019 – Shelved as: library
June 23, 2019 – Shelved as: series

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Oh I have this and need something new to read and this has just encouraged me to pick it up 👌🏼

Evie Braithwaite Amy wrote: "Oh I have this and need something new to read and this has just encouraged me to pick it up 👌🏼"

Yay! I couldn't put it down, hope you enjoy!