Lacer's Reviews > Dead Girl Walking

Dead Girl Walking by Christopher Brookmyre

U 50x66

I used to love Chris Brookmyre books, funny and gripping and with some fantastic rants, also really cool covers, then he decided to get serious, even though his old books weren’t exactly comedies, I tried a few and, well, Brookmyre got knocked off my favourite author podium. I hadn’t even realised he was still writing Jack Parlabane books, and despite the identikit thriller book cover and identikit thriller book title, I thought I’d give the series one more go for old times sake.

In this one, Dead Girl Walking, Jack is down on his luck when the band manager sister of an old friend, hires him to find a missing rock star. The story (mainly) has two narrators, Jack and then there’s Monica, the new fiddle player in the band. We know from the opening chapter that someone has been murdered but we have to follow Jack’s story, as he investigates and Monica’s story leading up to the band’s lead singer’s disappearance. Brookmyre really brings the characters alive, so much so, I was reading the story wishing that the band were real, so I could listen to their music! It’s not anywhere near as funny or ranty as the old Brookmyre but there were a few brief moments. The plot was definitely more interesting than your average thriller too. Dead Girl Walking has reignited my interest in Brookmyre’s work, I’ll definitely be reading the next Parlabane and I may even give Brookmyre’s sci-fi another go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Girl Walking.

March 31, 2019 – Started Reading