Vivienne's Reviews > Red Mist

Feb 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: forensic, crime
Read from February 13 to 17, 2012

After really enjoying 'Port Mortuary' and welcoming the return of Kay as narrator, I pounced on this latest one hoping for more of the same. Yet here some of the same problems re-surfaced that had become so annoying in recent years.

So yet another complex plot to ruin Kay's reputation, make her and people close to her miserable is revealed. The personal lives and neurosis of Kay and supporting characters again threaten to take center stage over the actual crimes involving third parties. It is of course normal in a series to have ongoing character arcs but here the impression is the universe revolves around Kay Scapetta.

Also, as a narrator Kay just goes on and on and on in a stream of consciousness monologue that adds little to the story. The novel felt like it needed a strong editor but when someone is as famous as Cornwell editors seem to become timid. So the writing felt very undisciplined and at times bloated.

When the final denunciation took place it seemed over in a flash and left me feeling 'is that it?'.

Still it did have its moments, else I would have given it less stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Mist.